• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

The most interesting thing to me about the first week of Jan on the eps is how nothing is extremely warm.

You must not have heard, Danny Dewpoint ordered xtra hot salsa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COD is good. Patience is key and trends are good. Thaw early January .. mid to late January we could be back in business
I have always understood the COD to mean that when the MJO registers that value, its impacts are negligible. I've always preferred it entering the COD after being in one of the better phases. In any case, someone said it before (I think it might have been you), and I agree, that the pattern has been variable. I'm not worried about a sustained torch pattern.

Plus, the CFS still looks good for mid-Jan.

cfs-avg_z500aMean_us_4.png

It’s all about backing the pacific jet enough. When that happens we probably initially have slowed flow over the US, could maybe score in that, then western ridge and EC trough (could score in that) then enough retraction and -PNA/North Pacific ridge

Looks like that 2 week pattern change is holding true. I expect by the 10th we will be heading back to below normal. We will still be in peak climo for about another 10 days so still opportunities out there.
I agree we're looking at around the 10th before we see a shot another good pattern showing up. Then give it a week more for "delayed not denied" garb. Man thats pushing into the 3rd week of january. That's a little depressing

It’s all about backing the pacific jet enough. When that happens we probably initially have slowed flow over the US, could maybe score in that, then western ridge and EC trough (could score in that) then enough retraction and -PNA/North Pacific ridge
It looks more like we’re shifting from a solid jet extension to an extension/poleward regime. Poleward regimes have the tendency to be very warm and flood the mid latitudes, hence the warmup. I don’t think we’ll see a retraction anytime soon to the point that we get a traditional La Niña Aleutian Ridge.

Our favorability will come when the jet shifts back to where it is now. The GEFS looks warm at the moment, but you can see heights building over the Pacific Northwest to indicate where things are going around the 10th as the jet shifts more equatorial.

I’m currently working on some composites for the North Pacific Jet phases. I will post them when I’m done.
1EFFAABD-2AAC-459B-9E75-4A49DC726CBA.gif
4F9507FD-521A-42F5-AEC7-6B60E5332987.png

It looks more like we’re shifting from a solid jet extension to an extension/poleward regime. Poleward regimes have the tendency to be very warm and flood the mid latitudes, hence the warmup. I don’t think we’ll see a retraction anytime soon to the point that we get a traditional La Niña Aleutian Ridge.

Our favorability will come when the jet shifts back to where it is now. The GEFS looks warm at the moment, but you can see heights building over the Pacific Northwest to indicate where things are going around the 10th as the jet shifts more equatorial.

I’m currently working on some composites for the North Pacific Jet phases. I will post them when I’m done.
View attachment 128404
View attachment 128405
That’s kinda what I was saying and been saying for a while when I say that… i know we’re overextending the next week. I was saying we need to back up the jet eventually, like what the gefs shows, in order to improve the pattern.
Interesting in those NPAC jet phase composites.
At the end of the day we still have a La Niña background, we’re eventually gonna retract, likely in late jan/early Feb, it’s just bound to happen, maritime forcing is heavily favored in Nina’s mid-later on in winter. Reason for the overextension is to much deposition of +AAM into the pacific jet, +AAM finally resulting in consistent and heavy positive east Asia mountain torque 8731B0A1-3DEA-4F0F-AF7C-690425FD8C9D.jpeg5300E0F4-9AC7-4327-A342-8DD0FFF36B3C.jpeg

Last edited:
Back