• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

12z Euro continues to trend towards tge gfs at H5

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk
Joe B says thaw's about over
DUuKDAHXcAATD83.jpg:large
Nice having cold air like that so close by. Lots of ways to tap into it even with a little bit of an SER

Euro continues to not look nearly as cold as GFS , hopefully will catch up soon!?

Saw this on Twitter. Look at horrible the eps has been vs verification . This was the day 11-15 period from January 19.

What SER?
7aca41bf99b0efdf4edb0fda64806838.jpg

Yep this is what happens when a) your model can't forecast the MJO (wet bias and interaction w/ topography cause aritificial dampening of the MJO in the EPS vs reality) b) the model can't handle orographic forcing from the Rockies (because the terrain in the model is smoothed), thus you end up with a model solution that tends towards a pattern which directly opposes the standing planetary waves so you end up with anomalous troughs over the Rockies where there are ridges in the means (trough over the Rockies for ex) and c) it can't handle extreme wave breaking upstream, these large anomalous waves disperse energy downstream which then changes the pattern and intensity of the waves here over North America

Euro is trending toward the GFS, it's going to turn cold folks. At least for the upper south and parts of the mid-south it looks like a safe bet. I expect the southeast ridge to continue to weaken as we get closer in time. It's just the trend this year. Many in the deep south already have had one good snow, maybe you get lucky and get another before the year is out. But it's always a lot harder to get cold and snow that far down south.

Now we have all globals with a big shot and an active storm track next week

Does that mean we see something ??? No it does not . But as Eric , jon and others have pointed out the models are slowly correcting to a colder stormier pattern

Back