• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

Another piece of energy back in in the southwest.

500hv.conus.png
Cmc has that energy as well

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

The 2/5 system definitely looks interesting. I would think that TN, N AL, NW GA, and most of NC are in the game right now. The 12z GFS had a more favorable trough axis that allowed the storm to turn up the coast a bit more.
sn10_acc.us_ma.png

zr_acc.us_ma.png
Its looks to have the features of the wedge.. which is usually underplay in the Carolinas!! Ummmm!

Its looks to have the features of the wedge.. which is usually underplay in the Carolinas!! Ummmm!
The cold is just beginning to press in for this system and the cold High pressure is to our west. Unfortunately, it's not in a favorable spot for CAD. It would need to be over the NE parts of the US instead.
prateptype_cat.conus.png

The 2/5 system definitely looks interesting. I would think that TN, N AL, NW GA, and most of NC are in the game right now. The 12z GFS had a more favorable trough axis that allowed the storm to turn up the coast a bit more.
sn10_acc.us_ma.png

zr_acc.us_ma.png
Let's see some more shifting South.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

GFS continues to show and move up a time frame of strong Greenland ridging next month. I'm starting to wonder if we may see the lately ultra rare combination of west coast and Greenland ridging.
Yeah even if the models don't show it right away don't be surprised if some periodic & intense high latitude blocking shows up over Greenland in 2-3 weeks from now or at the least the Icelandic vortex takes a huge hit. There's a well documented lag between Pacific MJO pulses and negative NAO regimes a week or two later (due to modulation of RWTs and resonance of large scale planetary waves) while the NAO trends positive in the week or two following Indian Ocean (phase 2-3) MJO events. In addition, there's also another well documented inverse relationship between the Aleutian and Icelandic lows, when the Aleutian low intensifies in response to this Pacific MJO event, the Icelandic/Greenland Vortex will weaken or at least halt further intensification because the Aleutian low reduces the downward wave activity flux from planetary waves over North America that originally propagateinto the stratosphere over Eastern Asia and the western NP. This Aleutian-Icelandic low seesaw is more prevalent during La Ninas can El Niños because the polar vortex is usually more intense especially late in winter, which aids in refracting these planetary waves towards North America.
Here's a nice paper from Sun and Tan (2013) detailing this relationship between the Aleutian and Icelandic Lows

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/grl.50770/full

The sustained cold, if there is to be any, isn't supposed to start until some time within the 2nd week of Feb once the various indices line up in a favorable fashion. That week doesn't even start for another 10 days, which is beyond the reliable range of models. So, that is still pretty far out in the distance. Patience is needed. In the mean time, there's pretty good ups and downs to entertain us.
Like Phil getting snowed on at 300. What could go wrong???

Marfinal temps, best kinds of storms

You may be right, but it's almost worthless if you don't get it to freeze over because without a freeze over you'll still have to go to school, work, etc. Then it's almost like the storm was for nothing because staying home without the stress of work or school is the second best part of the storm. Do that's why I'm always kinda iffy about marginal events even if they are big. For example, even with all the snow in the early December storm, many people still had to go to work, etc the next day so it was almost as if the storm was for nothing. Get what I mean?

You may be right, but it's almost worthless if you don't get it to freeze over because without a freeze over you'll still have to go to school, work, etc. Then it's almost like the storm was for nothing because staying home without the stress of work or school is the second best part of the storm. Do that's why I'm always kinda iffy about marginal events even if they are big. For example, even with all the snow in the early December storm, many people still had to go to work, etc the next day so it was almost as if the storm was for nothing. Get what I mean?
No I dont. So you would rather ONLY get snow if you get to miss work??? That's kinda dumb. I'll take it anyway I can get it regardless or of the impact it has

Back