• Hello guests. Please take a minute to sign up and join in the conversation. It's free, quick, and easy!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February (6 Viewers)

Ya if what I read comes true, it sounds like mostly everything will be majorly suppressed but what Webb posted on the other thread, I'll certainly take my chances with. Combo Jan '14/Feb '15 sounds good to me.

Unfortunately for cold lovers, the deeper we get into February the harder it is to get cold into the south. Plus you have to deal with a much higher sun angle. It can still get cold in Late Feb but it usually doesnt have the staying power.

Storm5

Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
Unfortunately for cold lovers, the deeper we get into February the harder it is to get cold into the south. Plus you have to deal with a much higher sun angle. It can still get cold in Late Feb but it usually doesnt have the staying power.
Oh my word are you a transplant southerner???

whatalife

Staff member
Supporter
Oh really? Please explain further for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaWx

Supporter
All you have to do is consider March of 1960 and this is all out the window.

GaWx

Supporter
Regarding extreme SE cold, I know that Feb of 1899 is very well-known and Feb of 1895 is somewhat known. Also, many are aware of Feb. of 1917/1958. But are many of you aware of Feb. of 1835?

pcbjr

Supporter
Regarding extreme SE cold, I know that Feb of 1899 is very well-known and Feb of 1895 is somewhat known. Also, many are aware of Feb. of 1917/1958. But are many of you aware of Feb. of 1835?
HISTORICAL WEATHER FACTS

A severe cold wave gripped the southeastern U.S. The mercury dipped to 8 above at Jacksonville FL, and to zero at Savannah GA. Orange trees were killed to the roots.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Great Florida Freeze of 1835

Feb 7, 2017 | Written by Pam Knox

This Day in Weather History posted an interesting story today on Facebook on the terrible freeze of February 2-9, 1835. The cold was so intense that it froze the St. Johns River for “several rods from the shore” and killed off entire groves of citrus trees. You can read more about it at https://www.weather.gov/media/tbw/paig/PresAmFreeze1835.pdf. A list of impactful Florida freezes is also available at http://flcitrusmutual.com/render.aspx?p=/industry-issues/weather/freeze_timeline.aspx.

GaWx

Supporter
HISTORICAL WEATHER FACTS

A severe cold wave gripped the southeastern U.S. The mercury dipped to 8 above at Jacksonville FL, and to zero at Savannah GA. Orange trees were killed to the roots.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Great Florida Freeze of 1835

Feb 7, 2017 | Written by Pam Knox

This Day in Weather History posted an interesting story today on Facebook on the terrible freeze of February 2-9, 1835. The cold was so intense that it froze the St. Johns River for “several rods from the shore” and killed off entire groves of citrus trees. You can read more about it at https://www.weather.gov/media/tbw/paig/PresAmFreeze1835.pdf. A list of impactful Florida freezes is also available at http://flcitrusmutual.com/render.aspx?p=/industry-issues/weather/freeze_timeline.aspx.
As Phil has shown, Feb. of 1835 was amazing in the SE and especially into deep into the SE like in GA/FL with in many cases the coldest still on record including SAV on 2/8/1835.

ATL didn't exist yet but based on places not far away, they could easily have had a -10 or -11.

pcbjr

Supporter
Man, really, I like most all of your posts but you act as if you live in International Falls, MN....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)