• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

After 240 though most of the model ensembles keep higher heights in the south and east. Do you think that's another mirage like they showed around Christmas time? Or based on other factors may we be dealing with a more muted artic invasion in the SE?
Just read the answers on the other board, where you asked the same question.

26904223_1565256626889830_8380666345187855985_n.png

It is still 9 days away BUT it looks like next week Friday, Groundhog's Day, could bring us another blast of arctic air! Long term models are throwing out some very cold temperatures! It is still too early to know what it means for SNOW chances, but just keep this in mind as we get closer to Super Bowl weekend!

Is this the one time cold in Siberia correlates to cold over here?

I'm confident based on recall of other times when Siberia was extremely cold for even them that there is little to no correlation and that it instead would be random. It occasionally happens but there's no correlation. Also, regarding when the SE does get very cold via the Siberian Express, I know of no proof that is more likely to occur when Siberia is extra cold. Siberian air is nearly always extremely cold even if Siberia is not colder than normal. I assume Siberia is coldest in many cases when the air is stuck there because it is so far north and has too much snow to allow for moderation with time. At least that's my educated guess. In summary, just knowing it is very cold in Siberia vs normals without seeing medium range models does nothing to get me thinking we'd have an increased probability of getting cold soon. (I'm not talking about the current case..i mean in general).

Last edited:
Neat how the GFS has moved towards a day 5 coastal. Cold chasing the precip though.

prateptype_cat.conus.png

Not a bad look at all. I'd definitely believe more precip gets thrown behind it there.

Looking a little closer, that one will stink for everyone except maybe NC. Perfect Miller A with a perfect track for many, too warm.

I'm confident based on recall of other times when Siberia was extremely cold for even them that there is little to no correlation and that it instead would be random. It occasionally happens but there's no correlation. Also, regarding when the SE does get very cold via the Siberian Express, I know of no proof that is more likely to occur when Siberia is extra cold. Siberian air is nearly always extremely cold even if Siberia is not colder than normal. I assume Siberia is coldest in many cases when the air is stuck there because it is so far north and has too much snow to allow for moderation with time. At least that's my educated guess. In summary, just knowing it is very cold in Siberia vs normals without seeing medium range models does nothing to get me thinking we'd have an increased probability of getting cold soon. (I'm not talking about the current case..i mean in general).
I gotcha. Basically it's just loooking like it's gonna get cold no matter what Siberia says?

I Despise Ground Hog's day....Their is always going to be 6 or more weeks of Winter.
I despise groundhogs in general. They killed a tree in my back yard and had to trap 4 of them and haul them off and release them. They love to eat gardens as well, which is really annoying.

As for the models at the moment, things look good. I'm liking where we are headed, and I think we have a shot at a storm still. Of course there is that signal for Groundhog's day from a few runs, and there is a small potential. I don't see it doing too well at this time, but if we see a good trend, there could be more than cold chasing moisture.

GFS 18z looked very transient with cold shots and at the end of run, it's warm across the South. Just one run, but hate seeing all the hype from the likes of Glenn Burns, just seems to jinx things

I gotcha. Basically it's just loooking like it's gonna get cold no matter what Siberia says?

Regarding THIS time, Siberian cold looks like it will add to the level of cold expected in Canada and a good portion of the US due to expected cross polar flow. But most of the time including when Siberia is very cold, there is no cross polar flow meaning no Siberian contribution. That's what I mean by little to no correlation.

GFS 18z looked very transient with cold shots and at the end of run, it's warm across the South. Just one run, but hate seeing all the hype from the likes of Glenn Burns, just seems to jinx things
Lol all in on the 18z 384hr GFS

Regarding THIS time, Siberian cold looks like it will add to the level of cold expected in Canada and a good portion of the US due to expected cross polar flow. But most of the time including when Siberia is very cold, there is no cross polar flow meaning no Siberian contribution. That's what I mean by little to no correlation.
Larry,
Been a bear of a couple days, and little time to study, but IMHO, until we get some PNA help, you and I may be about normal for a while or for the duration (but who can complain about 60's, I suppose) ...
Best!
Phil

Larry,
Been a bear of a couple days, and little time to study, but IMHO, until we get some PNA help, you and I may be about normal for a while or for the duration (but who can complain about 60's, I suppose) ...
Best!
Phil
... although, I'd be happy with a strong low digging out of the Gulf, with 500 temps at 20º to Miami and surface temps at 29º to Orlando (and 25º here) ... but I dream ... :eek:

... although, I'd be happy with a strong low digging out of the Gulf, with 500 temps at 20º to Miami and surface temps at 29º to Orlando (and 25º here) ... but I dream ... :eek:
Maybe when Katla in Iceland goes off, the poles move, and sunspots disappear, we'll be able to pull that one off, lol....outside of Goofy's extra nutty range, and into real life :) No matter what, looks like you can tell your tree more cold is coming, and stop blooming, or leafing, or budding, or whatever it was doing. I'm pleased those nasty daffodils that come out to tell me winter's ending in a few more months, will have some bloom shocking cold when they stick their heads up, and make them think twice about it :) Unwanted harbingers of spring. You don't see any camellias in Aug. to remind you winter is coming.

Maybe when Katla in Iceland goes off, the poles move, and sunspots disappear, we'll be able to pull that one off, lol....outside of Goofy's extra nutty range, and into real life :) No matter what, looks like you can tell your tree more cold is coming, and stop blooming, or leafing, or budding, or whatever it was doing. I'm pleased those nasty daffodils that come out to tell me winter's ending in a few more months, will have some bloom shocking cold when they stick their heads up, and make them think twice about it :) Unwanted harbingers of spring. You don't see any camellias in Aug. to remind you winter is coming.
Tony,
That tree (the Chickasaw plum that has never bloomed until after the last freeze) - the whole damn blooming branch fell off a week ago ... now trying to figure how that works into cooking stew ... :confused:
Best!
Phil

Back