• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fail or Fab February 2023 Pattern Thread

That airmass is cold enough for a 1037 to work. It just needs to stay in place long enough
You’d love to find a middle ground between CMC/GFS. One where the “it won’t slam into a HP that strong” trope actually kinda works but it’s not so strong that it’s a chance of flurries 20 miles off Hatteras

You’d love to find a middle ground between CMC/GFS. One where the “it won’t slam into a HP that strong” trope actually kinda works but it’s not so strong that it’s a chance of flurries 20 miles off Hatteras
Well I gotta believe that the GFS is overdoing the strength of that high…. 1050mb in that location is unheard of.

CMC makes the base of the trough more impressive which is better for us. We want a more stronger base/digging wave vs stronger N/S around the GLs, it would be even better if we separated them or weakened the N/S. If we get an amplifying southern stream wave in this scenario then a legit winter storm could be on the table and more in the ballpark of ice. CMC locks the SE Canada vortex just enough A65F6ED9-026C-4C8D-A375-043EC84CB305.png3CFA699E-04D1-4065-975D-E1A6051EFB0F.png

If at first, you don't receive, try, try again lol.

gem_z500_vort_us_41.png

Not huge differences on the CMC and GFS but enough to affect the surface pattern. The CMC tilts/Matures the wave right to our west/over us, and draws moisture into the CAD dome. The GFS keep it + tilted and never tilts for moisture overspreading into the CAD dome. CMC also has better SE can vortex placement. I like where we sit right now 9DC51BC6-8CE3-47C0-B174-FE32E55A03F4.png51A8AC56-3A7D-4192-A3DE-34BD76C67162.png

C8E327ED-A623-4C2C-B3FC-B9E26C01A156.pngNice GEFS trend here, stronger SE Canada vortex, higher heights trailing the vortex over the GLs (HP), semblance of energy digging over the plains, and higher heights ahead the vortex in response to it being more wound up = slower

Best GEFS run we've had yet for CAD potential this weekend.

It's doing exactly what we want to see w/ the 50-50 low. Now let's see this trend on other models

Slower/more digging >> more cold advection + stronger surface high, more prolonged/deeper/colder CAD

I know we also need the trough upstream over the Plains to dig southward like the CMC shows in order to get overrunning precip, but slowing/digging the 50-50 low completely on its own will actually do a lot of that heavy lifting for us.

Best GEFS run we've had yet for CAD potential this weekend.

It's doing exactly what we want to see w/ the 50-50 low. Now let's see this trend on other models

Slower/more digging >> more cold advection + stronger surface high, more prolonged/deeper/colder CAD

I know we also need the trough upstream over the Plains to dig southward like the CMC shows in order to get overrunning precip, but slowing/digging the 50-50 low completely on its own will actually do a lot of that heavy lifting for us.
Many gonna have to realize this isn’t a great setup for snow, but rather for sleet/ice. I think I’m down bad to the point where I’d take anything however and be happy

Back