• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fabulous February

Regardless it still is taking slow and steady steps towards the solution being shown on Fv3 for weeks lmao you really can’t make this stuff up

Agree, I was joking about It cutting and this winter lol, anyways HP position and things like that have been improving every gfs run

FV3 on NOAA maps is like 24 hours of ZR for a lot of the Carolinas. Hard pass

Yeah it is over 1” of frozen qpf for NC and would effect parts of SC and GA too. The FV3 has been showing a winter storm for days now in this timeframe. We are only 6 days out and it’s pretty good at this stage.

Insane wedge sig on the FV3. This is as the storm is coming to a close. Wedge still pronounced. It’s either really right or really wrong
View attachment 15067

Wtf ?!??!? Is there a 1060+ high in the NE ?!? No joke tho I really would want this NOT to happen, way to many trees around my house

Don’t see how the FV3 can be right if our LP goes boom. It’s tracking north of us so a big boom would kill our wedge/dry cold air feed. Might still work for favored areas in NC with an amp’d low pressure tracking to the north. Contingent on high pressure strength/placement

Insane wedge sig on the FV3. This is as the storm is coming to a close. Wedge still pronounced. It’s either really right or really wrong
View attachment 15067
I can swear I remember a storm so similar to this one where the wedge although models thought it would erode away it stayed intact for the entire events and almost looked exactly like this as it came to a close ... we also got snow showers the next day from upper level features and entrenched cold air in the atmosphere ... I’m putting my chips in the Fv3 camp ... it’s ride or die

Haven’t seen MSLP yet but man that thing dug in and didn’t budge even for a frame
The key here with these types of wedges is that the high pressure is first settling in at the start of the event.. usually the ones that don’t work out are the ones where high pressure is retreating.. willing to bet we have a great north east wind in those CAD areas replenishing that cold air.. which is why it doesn’t budge per day

But Cranky! lol
[B]crankyweatherguy[/B]‏ @[B]crankywxguy[/B]
FollowingFollowing @crankywxguy
More
The masses have spoken. Ya got a lot of work to do, Fv3 developers, before you make it operational in place of its predecessor, which is far more stable & trustworthy. Not a good look at all. Pas 72hrs it's a hunk of junk. Past 96hrs I wouldn't use it to prop up a hunk of junk.
DysVFVgX0AMx60l.jpg

I can swear I remember a storm so similar to this one where the wedge although models thought it would erode away it stayed intact for the entire events and almost looked exactly like this as it came to a close ... we also got snow showers the next day from upper level features and entrenched cold air in the atmosphere ... I’m putting my chips in the Fv3 camp ... it’s ride or die

All aboard the FV3 winter storm train! Destination, North Carolina!

FAJzQ9f.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
But Cranky! lol
[B]crankyweatherguy[/B]‏ @[B]crankywxguy[/B]
FollowingFollowing @crankywxguy
More
The masses have spoken. Ya got a lot of work to do, Fv3 developers, before you make it operational in place of its predecessor, which is far more stable & trustworthy. Not a good look at all. Pas 72hrs it's a hunk of junk. Past 96hrs I wouldn't use it to prop up a hunk of junk.
DysVFVgX0AMx60l.jpg
But Cranky, the FV3 has been stable. Maybe just stable(y) wrong? GFS is literally all over the place

I agree, But I am prepared for the run that says what winter storm are ya talking about?
Surface maps on TT look ugly. Certainly not a classical CAD situation in that regard. Hours of heavy rain transitioning to ZR. Possible but wouldn’t hang my hat on it. Temps in mid/low 30’s with DP’s in the low teens when precip rolls in..that’s how we normally do “big” ice storms around here (speaking of my neck of the woods)

Surface maps on TT look ugly. Certainly not a classical CAD situation in that regard. Hours of heavy rain transitioning to ZR. Possible but wouldn’t hang my hat on it. Temps in mid/low 30’s with DP’s in the low teens when precip rolls in..that’s how we normally do “big” ice storms around here (speaking of my neck of the woods)

Agree, strange setup lol

Back