• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season Discussion

A tropical wave near the coast of Africa is expected to move
westward across the tropical Atlantic for the next several days.
Some development of this system is possible when it reaches the
western tropical Atlantic early next week.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.
Some of the models are predicting this will become a tropical cyclone sometime next week.

So we got 1 plane down in the Virgin islands now and one plane in Hawaii both probably flying soon into the storms approaching those locations. At the moment I'm more interested in Douglas as a hurricane hasn't struck Hawaii in some time.

So we got 1 plane down in the Virgin islands now and one plane in Hawaii both probably flying soon into the storms approaching those locations. At the moment I'm more interested in Douglas as a hurricane hasn't struck Hawaii in some time.

We have a Douglas thread further down but I would be shocked if Douglas didn't significantly weaken before Hawaii remember Lane and Iselle

Lane was a cat 5 300 miles from Hawaii and fell apart at one point the forecast had a hurricane just west of Honolulu and it didn't even get close to that

Iselle was supposed to make it as a hurricane from the east much like this and it was 60 mph(a record for the Big Island)

Not to say there can't be significant impact but I highly doubt it's much over a very weak hurricane just based on history

the worst hurricanes in Hawaii have come from the south(Iniki and Iwa)

Last edited:
We have a Douglas thread further down but I would be shocked if Douglas didn't significantly weaken before Hawaii remember Lane and Iselle

Lane was a cat 5 300 miles from Hawaii and fell apart at one point the forecast had a hurricane just west of Honolulu and it didn't even get close to that

Iselle was supposed to make it as a hurricane from the east much like this and it was 60 mph(a record for the Big Island)

Not to say there can't be significant impact but I highly doubt it's much over a very weak hurricane just based on history

the worst hurricanes in Hawaii have come from the south(Iniki and Iwa)
And theres plenty of water area for the storm to trek missing the islands.

Has anyone else notice the low developing in the gulf right after this current gulf storm hits Texas? Gfs and icon has it

I've got a real sinking feeling about this wave leaving the coast of Africa, especially if it develops east of the Lesser Antilles like most models are hinting at. It's worth noting that in the 2000s, that nearly half of all "I" named storms got retired, and nearly all of those retired I storms formed east of the Antilles.

Retired_I_Atlantic_Storms_2000s_crop.png

This wave is a total beast

EdqTiT2XoAAC7Zv.png

Already has a 30% chance of genesis from the NHC

1595585659975.png

I've got a real sinking feeling about this wave leaving the coast of Africa, especially if it develops east of the Lesser Antilles like most models are hinting at. It's worth noting that in the 2000s, that nearly half of all "I" named storms got retired, and nearly all of those retired I storms formed east of the Antilles.

View attachment 44867

This wave is a total beast

View attachment 44868

Already has a 30% chance of genesis from the NHC

View attachment 44869

A few Euro ens have a storm in the SW Bahamas looking to go west of 75W which is the "oh crap" benchmark for the SE because once past 75W its got to go east to miss Hatteras.

us_cyclone-en-087-0_euro_2020072400_15844_481_216.png

I am staying in a house on Bogue Sound Sept 3-8th if NC takes a hit it will be then....

SW Bahamas is one of my personal benchmarks, the image just updated on that site kinda ominous for the SE...

View attachment 44874

Yeah you don't wanna see a storm like that go thru the hebert box this early in the season when the high is so strong
Percentage of landfalling hurricanes in NC Hebert Boxes Climate Office.png

Back