• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

2020-2021 Winter: Early Thoughts

Ha...That’s why I moved this year.

I kept a GPS app running on my phone a couple weeks back on the way back from Augusta, I never realized the elevation east of the city dropped off so quickly. A lot of that area is between 6-700', a pretty significant drop from the northwest side of town. That has to play at least a fraction of the reason why that area misses out so often.

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

We already know we're gonna torch. But here's a bold prediction for ya! With the impossibility to get a - NAO in winter anymore, the persistent Indonesian warmth to wreck the Pacific and La Nina which often are dominated by a SER, we have a recipe to experience the warmest winter on record. But by some miracle in mid January we manage a cold shot and get a traditional Texas to Carolina snowstorm (except areas from se of Atlanta to CAE, that place needs divine intervention to see snow again) like we haven't seen since the good ole days.

Everyone talking about how much they hated the December 9th 2017 storm but it was the largest snowstorm I had seen in my lifetime.
All it takes is one storm in a warm winter and that one was marginal at best. 33 with 850s barely at freezing and I scored a foot which trails only 93 in my life. 87 was pretty close though.

No heat, gas logs would not light. At least the stove worked.
That's rough. I could look in every direction of my house and see lights on for two days. I finally called the power company and told them it was only a fuse and not the lines and they got out quick.

That's rough. I could look in every direction of my house and see lights on for two days. I finally called the power company and told them it was only a fuse and not the lines and they got out quick.
Cats helped me stay warm, used truck for heat and to charge phone and iPad. Some around here were out for 4 plus days.

So, the long range forecasts are going warmer from the start this time? I think we've all learned Hurricanes and Typhoons change these forecasts each season. We still have a long time to go in the Hurricane season!

So, the long range forecasts are going warmer from the start this time? I think we've all learned Hurricanes and Typhoons change these forecasts each season. We still have a long time to go in the Hurricane season!
If the long range forecasts say warm, it will be bitter cold, lol

I think major snowstorms south of the mountains of NC and the state line in the Carolinas are now below 10%. However, ICE storms are on the increase. There were quite a few major ice storms modeled last year in those areas but never came in fruition. Of corse this is only speculation. I have no data to back it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back