• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

2020-2021 Winter: Early Thoughts

I’ve talked a lot in recent years about the correlation of very warm Indonesian/west Pacific waters to a stronger SE ridge. I just had another talk with my Maxar contact about the upcoming winter based on it being La Niña combined with very warm west Pacific waters. He said these things:

“West Pacific sea surface temperatures, which are nearby Indonesia, were +2.31 standard deviations warmer than normal in August. This was the second warmest the waters have been in August back to 1950. The only other warmer August was in 1998; although, 2017 and 2016 are close behind at +2 standard deviations above normal for the month.”

“It is also worth noting that the region is where convective activity is normally enhanced during La Nina winters. With the waters being as warm as they are, we are more likely to see further enhancement of the convective forcing beyond that of a typical La Nina. The response results in the further enhancement of the warmer Southeast ridge in winter.”

He then gave me the DJF temperature map for the average of the 3 La Ninas of 1998-9, 2016-7, and 2017-8 and this was the result, an average of +3 to +5 in the SE US (closely matches Bastardi):

EA0A3BAF-FFF8-4299-80C7-07E7ABDD11BB.jpeg

At KATL specifically, Dec averaged 48.5 (+3), Jan averaged 46.8 (+3), and Feb averaged 54.4 (+7). The 1981-2010 30 year average for DJF was 45.5. So, DJF of these 3 winters averaged 49.9, or +4.4 vs 1981-2010 averages. But remember that even the 49.9 would still be 30.1 colder than the 2020 summer instead of the 1981-2010 DJF average of 34.5 colder than the 2020 summer. So, it will still be a much more enjoyable season, regardless, for those who don’t prefer summer wx.

I’ve talked a lot in recent years about the correlation of very warm Indonesian/west Pacific waters to a stronger SE ridge. I just had another talk with my Maxar contact about the upcoming winter based on it being La Niña combined with very warm west Pacific waters. He said these things:

“West Pacific sea surface temperatures, which are nearby Indonesia, were +2.31 standard deviations warmer than normal in August. This was the second warmest the waters have been in August back to 1950. The only other warmer August was in 1998; although, 2017 and 2016 are close behind at +2 standard deviations above normal for the month.”

“It is also worth noting that the region is where convective activity is normally enhanced during La Nina winters. With the waters being as warm as they are, we are more likely to see further enhancement of the convective forcing beyond that of a typical La Nina. The response results in the further enhancement of the warmer Southeast ridge in winter.”

He then gave me the DJF temperature map for the average of the 3 La Ninas of 1998-9, 2016-7, and 2017-8 and this was the result, an average of +3 to +5 in the SE US (closely matches Bastardi):

View attachment 47991

At KATL specifically, Dec averaged 48.5 (+3), Jan averaged 46.8 (+3), and Feb averaged 54.4 (+7). The 1981-2010 30 year average for DJF was 45.5. So, DJF of these 3 winters averaged 49.9, or +4.4 vs 1981-2010 averages. But remember that even the 49.9 would still be 30.1 colder than the 2020 summer instead of the 1981-2010 DJF average of 34.5 colder than the 2020 summer. So, it will still be a much more enjoyable season, regardless, for those who don’t prefer summer wx.

Did the southeast experience a big event in 98-99 followed by minor events?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the southeast experience a big event in 98-99 followed by minor events?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I recall. But there was one month of these 3 winters that was solidly colder than normal: Jan of 2018, which included a top 10 of the coldest weeks on record (going back to the late 1800s) for many. The first week of that January was extremely cold and also included a very rare coastal SE major winter storm.

So, whereas nothing like that is likely or is being predicted, a very cold week (even if not historic cold) at some point even during an overall mild winter wouldn’t be shocking.

Warmer means more water to work with. Could easily get dumped on with wet snow during the transition phases pre and post winter with 1-2 feet esp if you have some elevation to work with (800ft and up).

I would run with 1 Storm first week of December that is sig (6-12”) and rain rest of winter and be happy. But I do want some spring snow in March first week too.

Larry, I know your adamant about it being a warm winter, but I read something from Dr. Roundy that the IOD has switched phases and expects a much different outcome coming up.

Yes, I posted it, I’ll see if I can find it.
Dr. Roundy's MJO model says this pattern isn't going anywhere for a month. With an active subtropical jet, things are looking interesting.
http://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/roundy/waves/rmmcyc/indexmjo.html
Luckily Dr. Roundy’s Experimental MJO H5 model still looks beautiful from January 26th though early March. The only thing that changed was that the cold got pushed back about 4 days from when I previously looked on the 2nd.http://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/roundy/waves/rmmcyc/indexmjo.html

I agree with Brent, I'm tired of these predictions every year it's getting old. Sure it's good to know what's coming our way but watching and reading winter forecast is not encouraging anymore to me if we gonna see the opposite. I've seen warm winter forecast and scored the best snows of the season.

Back