• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

2020-2021 Winter: Early Thoughts

Ok, I just saw JB’s preliminary SE DJF: +4 to +5 for most! Very nice to see and quite realistic, JB, but I hope you’re not bluffing. Please be a nonweenie for a change and stick with a mild winter forecast for the SE/E instead of later cooling it.

@Lickwx will love this and maybe @tennessee storm, too.

Although I prefer cold winters, I always enjoy the winter. So, I can handle this just fine.

Ok, I just saw JB’s preliminary SE DJF: +4 to +5 for most! Very nice to see and quite realistic, JB, but I hope you’re not bluffing. Please be a nonweenie for a change and stick with a mild winter forecast for the SE/E instead of later cooling it.

Although I prefer cold winters, I always enjoy the winter. So, I can handle this just fine.
tennesseestorm will love it, because that would probably mean severe weather.

Didn't he do something like that last year and then changed it to a colder outlook? Would be funny if he sticked with that forecast and it ended up cold.

Didn't he do something like that last year and then changed it to a colder outlook? Would be funny if he sticked with that forecast and it ended up cold.

That’s exactly what he did last winter.

JB/Wxbell forecast is now out to the public for free via Twitter: enjoy! This actually has the look of a strong La Nina

View attachment 47831
I still think we get at least one solid cold outbreak, and one good snowstorm (6 inches or more) at least for the mountains. One of the months will probably be a blowtorch and my bets go on February.

With a Nina there will be cold spells. In the SE all you need is one good storm to take you over 100%. I've become skeptical of winter forecast; good or bad. I just start looking at long range models around Thanksgiving and don't worry about the ten thousand winter forecast flying around

JB/Wxbell forecast is now out to the public for free via Twitter: enjoy! This actually has the look of a strong La Nina

View attachment 47831

LOL, I can't believe JB put out a warm winter forecast! Even in the northeast! These are truly remarkable times...

Honestly though, I hope everybody comes out this year with warm and hot winter forecasts. At that point my expectations would be the opposite. That's just seems to be how it works. Somehow someway we continue to be humbled by our long term climate ignorance.

LOL, I can't believe JB put out a warm winter forecast! Even in the northeast! These are truly remarkable times...

Honestly though, I hope everybody comes out this year with warm and hot winter forecasts. At that point my expectations would be the opposite. That's just seems to be how it works. Somehow someway we continue to be humbled by our long term climate ignorance.

Perhaps, but you are forgetting the first rule of southern cold/snow forecasting: warm predictions are always correct.

Perhaps, but you are forgetting the first rule of southern cold/snow forecasting: warm predictions are always correct.

Maybe but this is NOAA's winter forecast for 2017-18 which produced two deep south winter storms

noaa-winter-temps.jpeg

Back