• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

2020-2021 Winter: Early Thoughts

At 360hrs, we get a -AO, and a -PNA. Toss!
View attachment 49442

Wouldn’t shock me if we switch to this, seems like we do It just in time for our last hurricane, lol, still tho that ridging around scandi is definitely doing its part with the SPV, still tho it wouldn’t shock me if that trough in SE Canada becomes more of a eastern trough, trending to that around day 11-12 4D6F54CD-004F-4598-9244-B800CA729F43.gif

Last edited:
Can we have this pattern in winter View attachment 49438

It hasn't matter what the pattern is like the past 10 years. We've been blanked in supposedly great patterns that produced in the past, and we've gotten snow in sucky patterns every once in awhile. I don't think we know what we need to get snow around here anymore. It just seems to do what it's gonna do.

It hasn't matter what the pattern is like the past 10 years. We've been blanked in supposedly great patterns that produced in the past, and we've gotten snow in sucky patterns every once in awhile. I don't think we know what we need to get snow around here anymore. It just seems to do what it's gonna do.

Actually we’ve had a unfavorable pattern the last 2 years and when we do get a trough it’s way to strong, and then there’s the southeast ridge, and almost every winter storm happens in a favorable pattern, whether it last long or last for a few days

My prediction for winter:

There will be warm spells

There will be cold spells

The Wambulance Thread will be active

There will be a huge boardwide storm which will make everyone happy, until we torch in mid February and winter dies a painful death
My prediction for winter will be: PAIN
And D, J, F, +3 to +5 temps for Met winter, for most of the SE

Looks cooler then last year?
At this point, it has become a no-brainer that it's going to be a warm and miserable winter in the east. Now, when/if all of these warm forecasts bust, this will be the last year I give any weight to seasonal forecasting at all.

Last edited:
At this point, it has become a no-brainer that it's going to be a warm and miserable winter in the east. Now, when/if all of these warm forecasts bust, this will be the last year I give any weight to seasonal forecasting at all.
It would be funny as heck if the warm forecast that JB put out for this winter busts on the cold side after the way he’s been adamant about East coast cold for the last few years. Of course it would absolutely fit 2020 if there to be a board wide historic Southern Winter Storm at some point in mid to late December.

It would be funny as heck if the warm forecast that JB put out for this winter busts on the cold side after the way he’s been adamant about East coast cold for the last few years. Of course it would absolutely fit 2020 if there to be a board wide historic Southern Winter Storm at some point in mid to late December.
[/QUO TE]
Give me a boardwide 4-6 inch event during last 10 days of Dec and I will call it a winter. :)

I honesty don’t know if we should route for warm or cold over the next month? I would route for cold because any cold fall air is welcome. I would also route for warm so we see a shift in the monotonous regime of cold late fall, only for winter to be warm. Interesting Tweet by Webber and Fro.

I honesty don’t know if we should route for warm or cold over the next month? I would route for cold because any cold fall air is welcome. I would also route for warm so we see a shift in the monotonous regime of cold late fall, only for winter to be warm. Interesting Tweet by Webber and Fro.

I'm all for take the blocking and potential cold when you can get it. I mean if nothing else it shows that we can actually get blocking in the nao region and maybe we see it repeat again toward early December

There’s no correlation between a negative NAO in Oct and one for DJF averaged out...i.e., it doesn’t make one more likely nor does it make one less likely vs when not having a -NAO Oct. The stats since 1950 tell me this. And the stats just since 2000 tell me this. But if it will make it cooler in Oct, that’s good enough for me.

Back