• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

Shawn said:
Btw guys, the multi quote system is currently not working (and likelly wont) in the quick reply box.  When you hit "reply" on someones post, it will take you to a new post screen and work.

Aha....  that explains it.  Thanks

metwannabe, couldn't quote your post for some reason, but someone at the there board said the same thing about that NAM run.

The NAM at 66 just looked strange and unrealistic. The heights are flattened out and I think you see both our system and the northern stream fused together then. Does it even start coming down from there in the rest of the NAM?

Webberweather53 said:
The "panic" is in the shorter range of the NAM where it's actually reliable (< 48 HR)....
bingo , sometime wishcasting overtakes reality

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

whatalife said:
metwannabe said:
I don't know but to me this NAM run just looked wonky....  maybe it's a trend but looks like trash to me.  Channeling my inner JB, garbage in garbage out

What looked wonky to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't like it Lol.... no seeing such a strong s/w intact @48 then elongated and just stretched apart so quickly, idk I'm no met just the overall look so drastically different and it's the NAM

Isn't the problem here that more models are starting to agree with one solution (EURO) vs the NAMS reliability? If the GFS was the one against us getting a storm, would we still be putting stock into it?

metwannabe said:
whatalife said:
metwannabe said:
I don't know but to me this NAM run just looked wonky....  maybe it's a trend but looks like trash to me.  Channeling my inner JB, garbage in garbage out

What looked wonky to you?

I didn't like it Lol.... no seeing such a strong s/w intact @48 then elongated and just stretched apart so quickly, idk I'm no met just the overall look so drastically different and it's the NAM

It does become very elongated that's for sure.

Webberweather53 said:
The "panic" is in the shorter range of the NAM where it's actually reliable (< 48 HR)....

Agree and during the first 48hrs it wasn't as good as before but wasn't horrible either, definitely more Euro like but then after that just gets obliterated

I could go through lot of history suprise NC hits bigger than forecast due to isentrophic lifting like webber alluded to, but we can save that till the Thurs , Friday discussions. Just another card to play, argue for more snow after it gets established precisely what we are dealing with.

Caution don't think the euro has every thing pegged precisely to the exact point 5 days out. It'll have some more tweaks itself. Think ukmet is where all this ends up at when the smoke settles if u put a gun to my head right now.

I will say this...the NAM is doing an absolutely AWFUL job right now in the short term. Does it mean anything? Heck IDK.... the 6 hour rain totals.. (0z to 6z) so about another 3 hours worth...it has me only getting maybe .30" of rain at most....I am at .85" since 6pm or so.... storm total just over 6"

Bsudweather said:
I sure wouldn't put much stock into the NAM 4-5 days out

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yup, me either

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Storm5 said:
Webberweather53 said:
bingo , sometime wishcasting overtakes reality

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'd agree with you, and I'm not necessarily wishcasting, but can you define "reliable" within 48 hours?

Of course, the current guidance is all we have to go by at this point, and this is what the NAM is showing. We'll see how much it changes over the next few runs, but since this was a massive change from the prior runs, I'm more inclined to follow other runs to see how much they agree before giving more credence to this solution.

NCSNOW said:
I could go through lot of history suprise NC hits bigger than forecast due to isentrophic lifting like webber alluded to, but we can save that till the Thurs , Friday discussions. Just another card to play, argue for more snow after it gets established precisely what we are dealing with.

Caution don't think the euro has every thing pegged precisely to the exact point 5 days out. It'll have some more tweaks itself. Think ukmet is where all this ends up at when the smoke settles if u put a gun to my head right now.

I'll see your isentropic lift and raise you Gulf convection! :p

We better hope the models ingest some data tonight to change the trend. Because right now, it doesn't look good for us. I will not throw in the towel on this one just yet. However, if the GFS shows a Euro-like solution tonight, it might be time to call in the dogs.

I disabled the "quick reply" until we get the multi-quote system fixed so users won't have problems.  Just hit the "New Reply" button instead if you're on the website/PC. ::) You can still click reply on someone's post and it will quote.

The reason why we shouldn't rely on the NAM is because the time frame that the low actually drops, the NAM obviously doesn't go that far out.

NorthGAWinterWx said:
Bsudweather said:
I sure wouldn't put much stock into the NAM 4-5 days out

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yup, me either

It's not 4 or 5 days out. Its within 48 hours of the potential s/w interaction with the northern stream...so very much in the wheelhouse of the NAM...especially since it looks almost identical to the Euro. People here with decent (or more) knowledge has said this all day....the Euro is king for a reason, and I have a good feeling we are about to be reminded why.

Back