• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/26-1/28 Winter Storm Potential

The part that I have seen that is very different from that storm is the cold air is literally being blocked off. So we have no high pressure to work with if the precipitation does finally come around. And if were relying on the phase to bring the cold air that would have to occur very early.

Yeah that is a difference. Luckily in this case the upper atmosphere is cold. If we get heavy precip and a bombing phase off the coast it should be enough to bring a major snow storm.

Likely many areas will be 33 and heavy snow if it worked out. The fv3 run that crushed S.C./NC had most areas right at 32-33 and a foot of snow.

This won’t be mid 20s and snow for sure but the cold is there to pull it off.

This is honestly not far off from how the December 2010 storm went down.

Models didn’t catch on until the day of.

Here is two days out:
View attachment 12763

Here is day of:
View attachment 12764

Also here is a snippet from the event summary:

“This solution would eventually verify fairly well and was close to the ECMWF forecast 6 to 7 days out.”

The fv3 7 days out repeatedly gave many a good snow for this current storm.

You can read the summary here.

https://projects.ncsu.edu/atmos_collaboration/nwsfo/storage/cases/20101226/

Of course this current storm may not come north like the 2010 storm did. BUT we have a very similar setup to 2010. Models in the 7 day range gave many areas a snow storm. But have since suppressed it.

We have had a decent trend to speed up the southern wave over the last 5 fv3 runs and the 06z phases it and delievers a powerful storm up north.

This could very easily be another case of models overly suppressing a storm

That is the one I keep bringing up. The models didn't change until 48 to 72 hours out. This is the whole reason I am still following this one.

That is the one I keep bringing up. The models didn't change until 48 to 72 hours out. This is the whole reason I am still following this one.

My question is what was the synoptic setup for 2010? Is it similar to this one?

If it’s a completely different setup then this comparison is apples to oranges.

Ultimately who knows. But we are definitely not out of this one yet.

Ok here is the 2010 setup:
9913953D-2BCF-49C8-BF8C-080E05276B59.gif

Here is the fv3 run that crushed NC/S.C. and others:

CD4C00E5-5853-4576-815E-129F8D4630AA.png

It’s actually a very similar setup atleast as far as HP’s and LP’s are concerned.

Maybe the 2010 NW shift has legs for this one.0

It has to phase around the Florida panhandle to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 6z FV3 phases it around here but it's too late. For Eastern NC and Central NC even you want it phasing around Louisiana to give it time to tilt negative and climb up the coast.

This is honestly not far off from how the December 2010 storm went down.

Models didn’t catch on until the day of.

Here is two days out:
View attachment 12763

Here is day of:
View attachment 12764

Also here is a snippet from the event summary:

“This solution would eventually verify fairly well and was close to the ECMWF forecast 6 to 7 days out.”

The fv3 7 days out repeatedly gave many a good snow for this current storm.

You can read the summary here.

https://projects.ncsu.edu/atmos_collaboration/nwsfo/storage/cases/20101226/

Of course this current storm may not come north like the 2010 storm did. BUT we have a very similar setup to 2010. Models in the 7 day range gave many areas a snow storm. But have since suppressed it.

We have had a decent trend to speed up the southern wave over the last 5 fv3 runs and the 06z phases it and delievers a powerful storm up north.

This could very easily be another case of models overly suppressing a storm

Pretty big shift for only two days out on that one. When it comes to phasing scenarios it certainly doesn't take a huge change to push things NW especially with the northern stream always being difficult to model more than 48 hours out... and with a PV around the Great Lakes shooting out spokes of energy that are incredibly hard to predict the timing of.

Ok here is the 2010 setup:
View attachment 12769

Here is the fv3 run that crushed NC/S.C. and others:

View attachment 12770

It’s actually a very similar setup atleast as far as HP’s and LP’s are concerned.

Maybe the 2010 NW shift has legs for this one.0
Unfortunately the timing has changed considerably since the FV3 run that worked out. This is how it looks now for the same time. And there's no cold 1039 High on the current mapgfs_mslpa_us_20.pngusfntsfc2010122512.gif

Unfortunately the timing has changed considerably since the FV3 run that worked out. This is how it looks now for the same time. And there's no cold 1039 High on the current mapView attachment 12772View attachment 12773

The cold air on that FV3 run was based off dynamic cooling, it showed many areas starting as moderate to heavy rain and then changing to snow as that process cooled the atmosphere enough for an isothermal sounding. The FV3 is speeding things back up to a quicker phase, not sure if it will be enough but with 12z runs going now we can see how they adjust.

The cold air on that FV3 run was based off dynamic cooling, it showed many areas starting as moderate to heavy rain and then changing to snow as that process cooled the atmosphere enough for an isothermal sounding. The FV3 is speeding things back up to a quicker phase, not sure if it will be enough but with 12z runs going now we can see how they adjust.
I agree with you, just trying to show what I'm seeing as far as the comparisons to 2010. Seemed similar to me at first but looking at it further very different set up. But if our current storm doesn't move South in the gulf we may get back to the earlier solutions of snow in the coastal plain.

I agree with you, just trying to show what I'm seeing as far as the comparisons to 2010. Seemed similar to me at first but looking at it further very different set up. But if our current storm doesn't move South in the gulf we may get back to the earlier solutions of snow in the coastal plain.

It's a bit of a different setup but I think the overall idea of how the storm can trend NW like that one did even 48 hours out is something that we could see here as well. The cold on this storm is very marginal so will rely on good dynamics; we need a pretty strong phase with a sub 990mb low moving up the coast for a shot.

As long as we have legitimate ingredients available for a storm, with the current setup, the threat still remains. We're still talking about complex interactions within a complex environment. Nothing has changed on that front. Probably will be good to watch for another 48 hours before we can have high confidence that there is no chance of a storm.

We are inside 78hrs of the euro at this point, and it has the shortwave over Cali at 06z 26.
e6800d7b035e156ea6384ffa99c994f4.gif

48hr trend — when we were originally tracking this system, at this time frame 18z 1/26 we (NC) wanted the shortwave near western Texas, slowly rotate and go neutral along the Gulf coast and not in the gulf. This trend has made it impossible for the shortwave to have time to get where we want it. It’s just too flat.
96d42fff73f648801f0a58724510e45c.gif

I guess the only thing you can hope for is that all globals and all ensembles are wrong about this system.

You would also have to hope they have the energy wrong considering it’s right here at the moment. And it’s a valid point because models all have different solutions on the evolution of the energy wrt track/strength/location but all agree that they won’t amp it up.
83724e0fd01574f0ce9c8c83e0028ac6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ICON is a bit late but a nice look.
View attachment 12779
That's not going to work. And I really don't like the ICON. But, it reminds us that it is still within the realm of meteorological possibility for this to work back into an impactful storm. You can see the linkage between the two streams. A few non-major tweaks will matter a lot.

That's not going to work. And I really don't like the ICON. But, it reminds us that it is still within the realm of meteorological possibility for this to work back into an impactful storm. You can see the linkage between the two streams. A few non-major tweaks will matter a lot.

Yeah it's a bit late on the phase but it's a step in the right direction. ICON isn't a very good model though IMO so we will have to see how the GFS, FV3 and Euro adjust.

Yeah I don't hang my hat on the ICON but does go to show you that depending on trends over next 24 hours the end of the weekend is not out of question for parts of the SE to get something

Back