• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/26-1/28 Winter Storm Potential

12z gefs
969ca33b3f9eaf77acba5271ae74ad6f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks terrible. But not surprising

Look st how all 12Z models, as you can see from the UKMET map above, are now strengthening the low around the lakes, now 997 or deeper. This is focusing all the energy there and not at the base of the trough. This may help us for the next wave, but this one is going to go by by. Expect Euro to follow suit.

Now that would certainly seem like the wrong, not the right way to have suppression if this is true (although it's been proven that the GLL doesn't actually mean much). Any takers on this from our knowledgeable posters?

Pretty obvious trend south with that pv lobe up north. That is why this is getting shoved into the Atlantic.

85055B0B-00F2-442B-84B8-D8B1D2CEB781.gif

Just have to hope this is over done and we get a trend back north.

Actually? Not often, modeled? More often than you might think..... again there has been numerous post discussing the suppressed look at this lead time and why that does not necessarily mean all hope is lost. I can appreciate the passion, wanting to know what it means for your location and wanting to learn but please read all post. Every question you have asked has actually already been answered. Work with us here, we certainly are.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was mainly thinking that’s why a NW trend is expected. Because storm going through Bahamas or Cuba just doesn’t happen very often. So there for expect nw trend. Not really asking about my area

Now that would certainly seem like the wrong, not the right way to have suppression if this is true (although it's been proven that the GLL doesn't actually mean much). Any takers on this from our knowledgeable posters?

Here is the fv3 run that crushed S.C. and NC from last night. The GLL is alive and well here too and yet we got a “perfect” track for areas.

F56E71A1-3470-41EE-87CE-2490E376E10B.png

I’m not really sure IF the GLL is why the storm is lost to the south. Too me that trend on the fv3 of the PV pushing further south is the culprit. Basically the entire trough is just further south. Hence the OTS.

FFED39BC-536E-407F-9093-FA7E43B13E09.gif

But I’m no expert.

We just talked about that. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see it do that too. I still don’t think ends up that way by this weekend tho

Me neither, it’s Monday and Suppression is really the best news at the moment. I’d rather it show suppression right now than a massive snowstorm that’ll end up being a cutter by verification time.

I was mainly thinking that’s why a NW trend is expected. Because storm going through Bahamas or Cuba just doesn’t happen very often. So there for expect nw trend. Not really asking about my area

Has nothing to do with storms not taking a particular track that often but everything with other synoptic factors. No blocking, amped system, PV too far north, etc etc.... it's been explained that's all I'm saying

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It’s a complicated setup. I feel very certain that the main reasons we see storms vanish and come back are due to shortwave sampling and model bias. The waves that will ultimately interact to form and act upon the storm may very well not be well sampled right now. That matters a lot.

A strong low up near the Lakes may not allow short waves to dig and merge with the southern stream wave as much, as the energy would be more consolidated up north. It wouldn’t mean the initial southern stream wave would necessarily be weaker. But it might prevent a northern stream wave from interacting favorably with the southern stream vort.

I expect the storm to eventually trend toward a precipitation maker for at least a portion of the SE. The cold air is the biggest question mark in my mind right now.

Yep, I will be in disbelief if we miss this storm because it is dry. This winter has been nothing but over performers in terms of precip! Cold on the other hand, thats where we likely run into problems.

Honestly FV3 really wasn't that far off....to me there is plenty of room to make or break this...
View attachment 12337View attachment 12338

Gefs also still has solutions from suppressed to a cutter through Western NC. We really haven’t made any progress in nailing down a track over the last 2-3 days haha.

But the next 2 days will likely make or break us

Honestly FV3 really wasn't that far off....to me there is plenty of room to make or break this...
View attachment 12337View attachment 12338

100% agree. That is just what I was looking at. The FV3 isn't far from a absolute phased monster. The upper s/w is about to dive in, just a hair too late. Slow it down twelve hours and the board goes crazy. We definitely need it suppressed with a look like that.

I also want to say that we KNOW the GFS, and its products *usually* have a progressive northern stream bias. Does that mean its wrong? NO, but I think I want the GFS right there for the time being. Now, if the EURO And EPS go nuts and start **continually** not just a run here or there** start squashing or suppressing this run, then I still am feeling confident. I am ALL IN on this system, so if I go down in flames, well that sucks....but I honestly feel pretty good about our chances with this.

Back