• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/26-1/28 Winter Storm Potential

My two cents this morning.

The fv3 has repeatedly nailed storms this winter 6-7 days out.

This storm is approaching that timeframe today and most of the “setup” for this storm is well inside that timeframe.

The fv3 has been very consistent at the 5H level the past 5 runs. Of course it has moved but no real trends.

View attachment 12284

When the fv3 locks on like this it typically doesn’t move much after.

It has nailed 3 storms this winter at this timeframe.

I would watch it closely today and into tomorrow.

The chance of a Miller A storm track is rapidlyincreasing and you could argue that a Miller A is likely with the fv3 locking in as it is.

So I think we look to see models lock in a Miller A today. Then tomorrow we can MAYBE start looking at details.

How did the euro do with those same storms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will never be able to unsee the 00z eps run
7b44c40b10fcd1137582ff41f9b663f1.jpg

My two cents this morning.

The fv3 has repeatedly nailed storms this winter 6-7 days out.

This storm is approaching that timeframe today and most of the “setup” for this storm is well inside that timeframe.

The fv3 has been very consistent at the 5H level the past 5 runs. Of course it has moved but no real trends.

View attachment 12284

When the fv3 locks on like this it typically doesn’t move much after.

It has nailed 3 storms this winter at this timeframe.

I would watch it closely today and into tomorrow.

The chance of a Miller A storm track is rapidlyincreasing and you could argue that a Miller A is likely with the fv3 locking in as it is.

So I think we look to see models lock in a Miller A today. Then tomorrow we can MAYBE start looking at details.

I think the euro will improve come 12z...as you noted above, FV3 has been consistent and Euro is just now finding the shortwave. The last two runs of the euro is a trend toward the FV3 and I expect the EPS to improve as well.
9d6c34002f13bbaa728b797e2d7b4eb8.gif

I will never be able to unsee the 00z eps run
7b44c40b10fcd1137582ff41f9b663f1.jpg

I checked a few of the major cities and there is a strong signal. I'll post a few here for folks to enjoy.
1548074254820.png
1548074293796.png
1548074331966.png
1548074359359.png
1548074382322.png
I "think" this is where we want to see the models right now with the European suite getting stronger and a suppressed GFS suite with a pretty consistent FV3. Anyway, let's see where it goes over the next 2 days and hopefully many folks in the SE can score with it. It's the best shot we've had as a whole.

I have a hard time believing that for now. Just too much dynamics in play here. Perfect track even for me. Noise for now, we have a legit storm to track. I argue that’s heavy wet snow and isothermal temps, but way to early for that yet.

Yeah, I don't buy that increase in surface temps at all. Surface temps increasing despite dropping heights, strong northern winds and heavy precip? Not happening.

I think the euro will improve come 12z...as you noted above, FV3 has been consistent and Euro is just now finding the shortwave. The last two runs of the euro is a trend toward the FV3 and I expect the EPS to improve as well.
9d6c34002f13bbaa728b797e2d7b4eb8.gif

Agreed. Anything could happen BUT we want the fv3 on our side in this timeframe. Right now we do.

Here is an example of what I am talking about when I mention the fv3 lock in period.

I pushed the consistency on the fv3 as far as you can and got this gif of the past 5 runs.
A81AF88C-6B75-4526-9E4B-58AF9970EAE1.gif

It’s not perfect obviously BUT the timing and trough is all what I would consider very similar. The energy itself jumps around but that’s just how it is. If you go back to the 120hr page and do this 5 run trend it’s very similar.

Now look at this gif just 48 hrs later.
0409F389-3121-4667-8ABF-61D5A55FB6C0.gif

Look at how wild the 5 runs are. Remember at the 168-144 hr all of the veryb same runs where very similar.

So the “onset” of our system is getting into the 144-168 fv3 “lock in” period. As it does I expect to see some fairly consistent solutions and a few solutions will probably be very very close to reality.

The fv3 this winter has been king at being the first to lock in on a solution. It is the model you want on our side.

Bottom line is we have to wait about 24-48 hrs before the storm is really getting into the fv3 144-168 range.

EPS trend for the past 3 runs.EPS204.pngEPS204.pngEPS180.png
You can see the high is trending to hold on longer around Newfoundland and our Low closer to the coast and stronger. I said before I was worried about our short wave shearing out and becoming weaker as we moved towards this period but only the regular GFS is showing any real signs of that being a possibility so it looks as though I may be wrong there. Still time to totally lose this thing as ensembles show no storm at all as a possibility still but that looks to have become less likely.

Attachments

• EPS192.png
    EPS192.png
    237 KB · Views: 46
Just woke up so basically the models this morning. To far south and not cold enough. And we are depending on it trending colder and a NW trend correct?

Just woke up so basically the models this morning. To far south and not cold enough. And we are depending on it trending colder and a NW trend correct?

My friend, you would be better reading more and posting less. I was able to catch up on everything by going back several pages and reading. Don't be lazy.

EPS trend for the past 3 runs.View attachment 12294View attachment 12294View attachment 12296
You can see the high is trending to hold on longer around Newfoundland and our Low closer to the coast and stronger. I said before I was worried about our short wave shearing out and becoming weaker as we moved towards this period but only the regular GFS is showing any real signs of that being a possibility so it looks as though I may be wrong there. Still time to totally lose this thing as ensembles show no storm at all as a possibility still but that looks to have become less likely.

Yep, the Newfoundland ridge is flexing and the PV lobe is trending further west. Good for AL/GA/TN but bad for central/eastern NC/SC.

B3D8F6A4-510F-4EFD-9240-C95D28DF7650.gif

Back