• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/26-1/28 Winter Storm Potential

GFS 18z has 16 members with no storm during this time frame while the 12z only had 3 that didn’t have a storm. That’s a huge drop. Even the GEFS has no clue what’s going on

Reactions: Jon
Yes the NW trend will most likely begin, seen it many times, more than not. Its almost like it's a natural thing for the NW trend,

It's not uncommon for storms that actually produce for the SE to backoff some due to suppression at this point. As long as the energy is still there we have a chance. I don't mind the look of the FV3 right now with a nice 1001mb low in the gulf.
View attachment 12185

I'd actually take that track itself but the cold air isn't even close. That's what I didn't realize when looking at the NOAA website.

Well just keep in mind GEFS is not the FV3 ensemble system. It’s actually a pretty good mean considering the GFS itself is completely wrong. It misses the shortwave digging west of Texas. The GEFS ensembles are actually unreliable until the GFS control run starts looking like other guidance. Until it does, I’d trust the euro ensemble system more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny, because up until now everyone else has been saying look at the GEFS. And of course now it backs way off when we finally get some good op runs.

I'm sure this was said earlier today, but I was looking over the 12z Euro, and it's very close at much greater magnitude of a winter storm for the southeast. Models will come to agreement within the next few days or so.

The whole watch the NW trend and all that goodness is silly talk right now. Also you want to know what makes me believe a bit more (or more optimism) at this point??? The GFS products (not new GFS but GEFS) are suppressed.

The whole watch the NW trend and all that goodness is silly talk right now. Also you want to know what makes me believe a bit more (or more optimism) at this point??? The GFS products (not new GFS but GEFS) are suppressed.
I'm going to offer some thoughts after some of the 00z runs but I 100% agree with you. There's some aspects I'm seeing too that aren't being discussed regarding the northern stream and availability of cold air.

What are your early thoughts on this? Hopefully asking this isn’t banter I’ve apparently posted a lot of banter today. But everyone was saying gefs is what to go by. Now it looks worse. So now what? I think it’s trying to iron out where the Low will develop. Florida panhandle or further east. And how far north or south

Not having a good cold air feed concerns me. It makes me think we will be counting on dynamics. That’s not an ideal situation, but it can work.
Agree, seems like we rather know the cold air will be there so we can focus more on where the storm is going to track. But really, we have to worry about both. Which this far out really isn’t anything new. Hoping a nice HP will suddenly present itself and make everything more favorable for everyone is a bit concerning.

Not having a good cold air feed concerns me. It makes me think we will be counting on dynamics. That’s not an ideal situation, but it can work.

Usually I try and wait until we have a consistently modeled low pressure to talk about cold air, as models continue to fluctuate it’s almost pointless but I do agree it’s a concern...my question is, when are we not concerned about cold air?

Yeah, there have been several maps I’ve seen today where there was light rain to the north and west of the axis of heavy snow. It can work for those in the right spot, but there are lots of potential losers with that setup.

Usually I try and wait until we have a consistently modeled low pressure to talk about cold air, as models continue to fluctuate it’s almost pointless but I do agree it’s a concern...my question is, when are we not concerned about cold air?

I’m a cold air guy. Give me a cold pattern and high pressure up north and then I look for the models to put the pieces together. Realistically, one way isn’t better than the other, I don’t guess. I guess my thinking is that this year, we have been so incredibly active, just getting an elusive cold pattern to set up will carry a high likelihood of winter weather.

Back