• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/26-1/28 Winter Storm Potential

I think the "clipper" is short for "Alberta Clipper", for the general area of origin. Most (90% ) of the time they are embedded in the northern stream and wring out much of their moisture in the upper plains and midwest before exiting off the mid-Atlantic somewhere. NC can do better with them when the PV is a in southern Canada. I think this system is more of a hybrid situation where we do have some sense of a reflection in the Gulf of Mexico, hopefully.
Almost like a hybrid ULL?

I've always wondered. Is it theoretically possible to have a blizzard, or near blizzard, in the Deep South, such as LA, MS, or south Alabama? And if so, what mechanisms would be needed to make this a reality?

dedd4304092365561b6d37c2e6dc4266.jpg

Woah not what I was expecting. Definitely need nw trend here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice. Looks like it’s about to jump to the Atlantic.

I've always wondered. Is it theoretically possible to have a blizzard, or near blizzard, in the Deep South, such as LA, MS, or south Alabama? And if so, what mechanisms would be needed to make this a reality?
Sure. The storm would have to get really strong and/or you’d need a strong high pressure nearby.

Obviously the icon solution wouldn’t give the south a winter storm. But it could bring Florida a winter tropical storm

That's what I'm worried about
ICON allegedly has a warm bias.

Either way, this isn’t going to be a snowstorm with temps in the low 20s for most. It’s entirely possible that temps are cold enough. But they won’t be comfortably cold enough for most, most likely.

Only person seeing snow on icon is Louisiana lol. 3-5 inches be my guess

This thing literaly has the potential to become a bomb/blizzard or a weak sheared wave that does nothing, by Wednesday/Thursday there will begin to be more consistency where we can nail down the track and intensity of the wave

With the Icon being mentioned as a warm biased model and the temps only being a few degrees to warm I think that was a very good model run
Agreed. Better to have a storm and take our chances than not have one. I wish I was more confident about it being cold enough, but we have to play the cards we’re dealt. We will see....

Back