• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

I can’t remember the storm right off the top of my head but it was sometime in the later 2000’s or early 2010’s where a storm almost exactly like this showed a big snow storm along and south of 85 with the biggest snows back towards Greenwood and the midlands. In fact most of the models had the moisture line at the NC/SC border with places like GSP only getting a couple of inches. As the storm approached it followed model guidance but there was way more moisture on the NW side as the cutoff was actually the NC/TN border. We went from WWA to winter storm warnings in the middle of the event and got at least half a foot or more. Precip almost is always under modeled on the NW especially when WAA is one of the main drivers of it. See this last storm as an example.
I think you’re referring to the February 12, 2010 storm. That one was supposed to be completely an I-20 and south and then coastal sections of the Carolinas, then starting about 36 hours out the models really started expanding the snow back to the north and west to the point that about 18 hours out GSP issued WWAs for the SC upstate and southern NC Piedmont and then kept expanding them throughout the day before upgrading a large portion to WSW. I ended with just over 5” after not having anything forecasted 30 hours before. The funny thing is that I remember Frank Strait at Accuweather had been adamant all week that the snow would extend up to the I-40 corridor even though the models weren’t showing it

Another thing is there is a difference between the NW precip shield expanding and a NW trend....just because the NW edge of the precip moved does not mean there was a NW trend with the low track....if this ends up being a weaker strung out system there will be a rather large expansion of the NW precip shield.

Another thing is there is a difference between the NW precip shield expanding and a NW trend....just because the NW edge of the precip moved does not mean there was a NW trend with the low track....if this ends up being a weaker strung out system there will be a rather large expansion of the NW precip shield.
Yea, people get this confused sometimes, imo.

The Euro might nail the 5h pattern, but bust on the northern extent of qpf. It definitely happens a lot with the ukmet.

All the verification scores you can find that show Euro/Ukmet dominance... are 500mb height scoring. Not qpf scoring. (If there is qpf scoring somewhere I'd be interested in the link!).

Will the nws start posting winter storm watches tonight or tmrw am?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likely less stream interaction, fold to the gfs in my opinion. I'll just never rely on a well timed phase for my snow. Still may work out but my confidence is growing, this is an off the coast, late blooming Raleigh storm.
The thing is even though there was less phasing on the Euro, the GFS is still trending more NW with the low and the precip and that is gaining support on the GEFS. More than likely we’re probably headed towards a blend of the Euro/GFS/CMC where there is still plenty of moisture back here to the west from overrunning to put down a decent snow with temperatures in the 20s, but the heaviest QPF is east of Hwy 1 where things are aided by the phase. The big question whether or the WAR plays nice and stays backed off to keep the warm nose at bay more

Robert (WxSouth) has preached that for years. He called the Feb 2010 and Jan 2014 IMBY. None of the models showed much my back to Huntsville and he kept on saying it would fill in. The rest is history.
Yep, and precip shield is almost always more expansive to the NW than what is depicted on the models. Seent it many times.

Yea, people get this confused sometimes, imo.

The Euro might nail the 5h pattern, but bust on the northern extent of qpf. It definitely happens a lot with the ukmet.

All the verification scores you can find that show Euro/Ukmet dominance... are 500mb height scoring. Not qpf scoring. (If there is qpf scoring somewhere I'd be interested in the link!).
Finally someone with some prestige said it. The term "nw trend" is so over used but rarely explained. More times than not it's only the precip field has expanded nw not the Low itself, although that does happen. Robert did a real good job explaining this back in the day when he hung out in these lowly forums before going big time. Thanks Burrel!

A blend of the GFS/EURO is my call as of right now. Maybe not as amped as the EURO has been but definitely not a sheared out mess like the GFS either. Guess where that paints the best temps and highest QPF together? I'll let you take a guess but it's that long road at the base of them mountains to our NW.

Back