• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

Lets hope it works out

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_27.png

It’s odd waking up and seeing these looks on the models after reading GSP’s discussion this morning. They’re saying that a blend of globals indicates rain outside of the mountains, but that’s not what these are showing. Maybe they’re trying to get through what will be a high impact storm for their area over the next couple days before spending too much time on this. Looking at it though, this certainly has the makings of a widespread snow event for much of the Carolinas… excellent cold press from the north and northwest, a weak southern stream system moving along the Gulf Coast and decent blocking over the top… not too strong to crush it too far south, but enough to move ENE along the coast stay off shore and not turning up the coast… fairly textbook

It’s odd waking up and seeing these looks on the models after reading GSP’s discussion this morning. They’re saying that a blend of globals indicates rain outside of the mountains, but that’s not what these are showing. Maybe they’re trying to get through what will be a high impact storm for their area over the next couple days before spending too much time on this. Looking at it though, this certainly has the makings of a widespread snow event for much of the Carolinas… excellent cold press from the north and northwest, a weak southern stream system moving along the Gulf Coast and decent blocking over the top… not too strong to crush it too far south, but enough to move ENE along the coast stay off shore and not turning up the coast… fairly textbook
NWS RAH also didn’t indicate that. I looked at the individual EPS members and they basically all show the same solution - low pressure develops along the Arctic front (some of them near/in the Gulf) and throws moisture into the Arctic air mass.

NWS RAH also didn’t indicate that. I looked at the individual EPS members and they basically all show the same solution - low pressure develops along the Arctic front (some of them near/in the Gulf) and throws moisture into the Arctic air mass.
Yeah, there really is strong ensemble support with both the GEFS and EPS, and a lot of consistency within the individual members… pretty classic looks really for a solid overrunning event. Like I said, I think they probably have their attention focused on the next 36 hours.

RAH most recent discussion certainly calls it out..

There continues to remain a chance
of snow toward the end of the period Friday. The surface arctic
front continues to move south Thursday through Friday, with high
pressure settling over the Ohio Valley during this time, along with
1250m low-level thicknesses, over 50 m below normal for late
January. At the same time, the ECMWF/GFS/Canadian all show a
secondary shortwave trough digging into the eastern US during this
period, with height falls over central and eastern NC Friday and
Friday night. Although the ECMWF/Canadian are dry and keeping the
moisture offshore and to our south, the GFS is wetter, consistent
with several members of the GEFS/Euro ensembles indicating chances
for snow. For the time being, have slight chances of snow with