• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

Last night 12 z Great Run
500hv.conus.png

This 12z today: To pos leaning

500hv.conus.png
Noticeably less of a SW dig by the Northern Stream energy here on this run, thus too much separation b/w the two streams. There's a disturbance over NE Canada that looks noticeably weaker this run, not sure if that is causing less of a press on our Northern stream in this case or not, but without a better dig this will not work for the western folks.

So too much separation causes a weaker more suppressed system but actually allows more frozen precip with the arctic front but if the N/S stream digs and interacts with southern energy then you have less with the front but a much better event with the 2nd?

We are only 36-60 hrs out and models still having difficulty zoning in on how this plays out, fun

I trust the RGEM did well with last system .. so I’ll watch the 12z run of that .. don’t see why NAM would just go completely 180 like that other than it’s the NAM .. we’ve seen it fold on many things when it’s past 60 hours so let’s see until we get some more 12z stuff in

Snow map seems off though, I look to snow almost the whole time on that run ( solid 12 hrs ) and it has me at 1" of QPF and 4-5" of snow....even at 8:1 that does not work....especially over the I 95 corridor were they never have mixing issues on the soundings

Edit: actually it does give .3-5" before my column crashes with the front good but back west should have had higher totals

qpf_acc.us_ma.png

Back