• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

Well, the beautiful NAM and RGEM runs from last night backed off, so that's sad. It's been very clear this is going to be an eastern nc storm, for a while now. However I'm still hoping for a few more digs of the northern stream, and a few more NW ticks to get some heavier precipitation into the western piedmont.
I think everyone agrees that NE NC and SE VA will probably be the jackpot zone for this storm as those areas will likely be able to take the most advantage of this storm quickly intensifying off shore. However that doesn’t mean this will not turn into a significant event with high impacts for western areas in NC as well. Everything about this set screams a much more expansive area of snow on the west and northwest side of the storm… strong FGEN forcing and great jet dynamics are all at play here. I still think we’re headed toward a set up very similar to the January 2002 storm

That looks all WAA driven on nam with first wave something to watch
That’s happening at a time that temperatures in CLT metro should be dropping into the upper 20s and staying well below freezing for the next 36 hours or so. Rainfall on Thursday is gonna prevent any pretreatment of the roads from having any effect, so it’s quite possible we may be dealing with a flash freeze in that time as well

Back