• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

I’m surrounded by watches and weather statements, not sure what’s going on with that can someone chime in please. My weather is showing 33 with rain tomorrow night is that possible?

That extra little dig on the northern stream helps to turn up the trough axis a bit on the East Coast. That could help slow it down and give the Low pressure more time to develop resulting in better precip on the NW edge and possible a deform band like we saw hints of on the Euro.

Intresting ... Light precip, but training over the same area with sub freezing temps will lead to some accumulations Aka for example January 2014. Birmingham snowmageddon. Very interested. A precip shield/train is still plausible for Alabama. View attachment 108224View attachment 108225
I recall the storm well, the Mets had said the precip shield would stay south of us in the Bham area, however there was a big weather weenie/model output consensus of a distinct possibility we would get a push into the area. We had lower 20s locked in that morning with thick cloud cover so the temp was going to stay put and all that we needed was the precip push.

Early that morning it was obvious that was exactly what was going down and yet the on air Mets still wouldn’t hardly acknowledge the possibility, much less the probability at that point, of what was unfolding until it was doing its thing really. It caught the public off guard but not the weather weenie populace here. That was an absolute mess getting folks home.

Hopefully we don’t see that again anytime soon but it makes me ill when the local Mets on air, tasked with getting the word of this type stuff out, don’t even mention the substantial possibility of potential scenarios hanging around even though they feel those are outliers. They would do the public a service to mention researching the latest trends and not relying totally on their official forecasts.

Last edited:
at 42 precip is further inland. no worries eastern nc folks, no real changes in temps. just better precip shield.
Lol you're right and seeing the increased precip early on is good, gonna be a long duration event. I do believe another legit NAMming is in the works

I’m surrounded by watches and weather statements, not sure what’s going on with that can someone chime in please. My weather is showing 33 with rain tomorrow night is that possible?

Yeah you are way south on the edge of the shallow cold dome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back