• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

The two wave scenario looks very plausible, but the Euro only shows one amped wave, correct? It seems to be if the one wave is amped then that would prevent a second wave from overrunning.

It’s so far from the Euro suite though. It likes to do baby steps. That’s what I’d expect, a baby step
If there’s one thing that gives me hope, it’s that models like to come together in the closer range and then the end to something together 1-2 days out, middle ground between the euro and GFS is quite honestly, money, but the GFS has had the same WAR issues

The two wave scenario looks very plausible, but the Euro only shows one amped wave, correct? It seems to be if the one wave is amped then that would prevent a second wave from overrunning.
Just looks like that artic front is pretty wet with a small disturbance ridding it. That's the so-called 1st wave?

The Euro has two waves on the energy map, but it buries the second one. At least on the 12z, that's what it showed.

Honestly, idk that I would call what's shown on the NAM a second wave.

If there’s one thing that gives me hope, it’s that models like to come together in the closer range and then the end to something together 1-2 days out, middle ground between the euro and GFS is quite honestly, money, but the GFS has had the same WAR issues
WAR was more muted on 00z NAM at 84 though right?

To me it just looks like the nam is picking up more wintry precip (sleet/ZR) as a mesoscale model because it’s feeling the SW flow aloft going parallel/slightly over the artic front as it dives south, creating WAA as the Arctic front is trying to ooze south, creating isentropic upglide from mid level WAA which is a forcing agent, something globals struggle with

Last edited:
Back