• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 01/28-29/2022 Winter Weather Potential

Early on in the run is so key...a slightly weaker and less diggy southern energy is what's helping. We need it to come on out, and the weaker it is the quicker it comes out I would think.

Such a delicate balance....it's no wonder its so dang hard to get snow here.

That little piece of energy getting left behind in SoCal helps it seems.

trend-gfs-2022012518-f039.500hv.conus.gif

trend-gfs-2022012518-f054.500hv.conus.gif

And about 3 more shifts away from :( lol

I think we're going to continue to see this thing power up. Just fingers crossed it can stay out there a little bit. I'm serious....someone nearby is going to get smoked. If we're wishing, might as well go ahead and find a wave in the arctic jet to drop in and go for broke. It's been a long time since we've had one to put in the legend book.
Agree with all this. I’ve just now been able to get caught up things as it’s been a busy day at work… last week of the fiscal year. Looking at the trends today there is definitely some reason for excitement right now… especially for those of us along and east of I-77 in NC and even down into north central SC. The one thing that I’m a little bit worried about is the possibility that this thing takes on a negative tilt too soon and then we have to worry about our old friend the warm nose again

as it stands now we do not have march 1980 on our hands, but i looked up the case study for it and was just generally completely floored at the similarities. would not take many more 10 mile tweaks to the southwest for this to become truly memorable. we've already gone from flizzard to uhh this could be an event in like 12 hours

If you have the heart and soul to rummage thru more GFS Ensemble members, here you go (images are 6 hrs apart....all we got)

EPcjVUI.gif

And about 3 more shifts away from :( lol

I think we're going to continue to see this thing power up. Just fingers crossed it can stay out there a little bit. I'm serious....someone nearby is going to get smoked. If we're wishing, might as well go ahead and find a wave in the arctic jet to drop in and go for broke. It's been a long time since we've had one to put in the legend book.

It's weird for you to be more bullish than me, unsure how to handle myself. I'd really like to get the vorticity closer to the US or in the US before getting way on board thing is that'll be with only around 24 hours to go. I do like the idea of a general dusting to 2 around here

GFS snowfall trend for today's runs...someone living clean in NE NC.

View attachment 110429

Tired of being trolled lol

1643468400-71ikh59TWf4.png

Beautiful just beautiful

1643468400-7xdUwxPgPJ4.png
Notice how most models and their ensembles continue to trend towards the CIPS analog projections. It’s good to trust what’s happened in the past to understand what can happen in the future. This looks to be a perfect example .. I wonder if models continue to trend that way to something actually close to that CIPS analog snowfall @KyloG was so nice to share with us

I'm almost certain that the March '80 storm got cranking in the Gulf, which we will need now if we want a repeat of any kind.
Indeed, but January 2000, for example, got cranking in the Atlantic, IIRC. Definitely going to be hard to throw precip further west than the Piedmont without it getting started up in the Gulf, though.

Back