• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 01/28-29/2022 Winter Weather Potential

I'm procrastinating on leg day by overanalyzing the 18z and it just feels really blippy. It took a weird jolt. 30 hours in on the GFS and there's nothing that makes me say "hey thats IT!", if anything I thought our s/w (east of that little tail on Alaska) actually looked a little better and primed to take a dive.
gfs_z500aNorm_namer_fh30_trend.gif
It just completely diverges around hour 78 and by hour 90 it looks a lot different from the previous few runs. I mean it just jolts to a worse solution.
gfs_z500aNorm_namer_fh90_trend.gif
Our s/w splits some and wants to go way further south west into Mexico. I think the GFS also ran this play with the southern energy some last week. It completely corrodes the southern end of our shortwave and no serious cyclogenesis occurs south of the mason dixon line. Is it right? Don't know but this run feels like a good "it's a blip" candidate.
gfs-ens_z500a_namer_fh90_trend (1).gif
When you zoom out on the GEFS ensembles here, there was a slight nudge towards a worse solution but it looked better than I thought.

Overall think this is a pretty blippy run, but we'll see if the 00zs keep it, which not gonna lie, would suck a lot!

Who has the 18z Canadian. Fact 12z. What happened? It won last battle, high res at least did.

I'm procrastinating on leg day by overanalyzing the 18z and it just feels really blippy. It took a weird jolt. 30 hours in on the GFS and there's nothing that makes me say "hey thats IT!", if anything I thought our s/w (east of that little tail on Alaska) actually looked a little better and primed to take a dive.

Not deep diving at this point (no pun) but I see some limitations in the northern Great Lakes preventing the long wave from dropping down wholesale.

OK, the 18gfs wasnt awesome but at the same time there is a rather strong low se of hatteras. I will take that 4 days out.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_18.png

Nice. Thanks for posting. I’ve been excited for the possibilities with this storm, especially since you posted the CIPS analogs earlier. Seems like most of the time they show systems that miss us to the north with the dreaded NW trend for potential events we track. The one you posted today hit NC flush. Do you find the CIPS to be accurate?

Back