• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

I saw this idea somewhere else and thought that it would be interesting to do for the main media outlet control city (KMCN-Macon, GA) in my region. The analysis regarded Christmas weather by the decade with each 10 year period daily high/low for the date forming the decade average. Unlike some other cities in the region, Macon's weather history is only documented completely from 1900 onward.

1900s High 56.6 Low 39.3
1910s High 57.0 Low 37.3
1920s High 57.3 Low 35.5
1930s High 61.7 Low 39.5 (the early 30s featured some of the torchiest Christmases on record)
1940s High 53.5 Low 39.5
1950s High 57.4 Low 40.6
1960s High 54.2 Low 32.3
1970s High 60.6 Low 40.0 (the early 70s also had warm Christmases)
1980s High 54.9 Low 37.9 (it was either blistering cold or insanely warm every Christmas in Macon this decade)
1990s High 53.5 Low 30.6
2000s High 56.2 Low 37.8
2010s High 60.1 Low 39.0
2020s High 53 Low 30.6 (so far)

I found it interesting that the Christmas weather for the immediate Central Georgia area has actaully somewhat trended colder in the last forty years compared to how things were in the earlier half of the twentieth century. I know that we all are upset over the recent deficit in terms of wintery precipiation, but there's been other periods in the not so distant past (at least in my general area) that were largely devoid of continuous winter storms. For example, my grandmother was born in 1936 and she's stated several times that she cannot remember it ever snowing when she was growing up outside of when she was extremely young (the famous January 1940 storm) and this time period would correlate with the noted snow drought that the southern half of Georgia had during most of the 1940s-1950s. On the flip side, my great grandfather (her father) was born in 1899 and he would often tell stories about how it routinely snowed when he was younger. This would correlate with the decade from 1895-1905 that argubably is the most active in history for the southern half of Georgia in terms of wintery precipiation. These patterns seem to be so cyclical in nature at times, everything just has to align up perfectly.
Thank you for sharing. Just so I'm understanding, this is just for Christmas days correct? There will be a major correction for the 2020s probably after a couple years.

yep!

gfs_asnow_seus_65.png
i take that ALL DAY...en though its a bunch of sleet fir me

This looks good, but it's an ensemble average out to February 5th. The 3.5/4.0" showing for RDU is probably close to the average for that date of winter. We're looking/hoping for a higher-than-normal winter snow totals on the extended models. This is supposed to be an above normal snow year (remember all the predictions from fall). If this is all we can hope for, we need to come to the conclusion that our good winters are now going to be what we use to average 10 years ago.
Be careful now. The calvary will come at you for pointing out how snowfall has fallen off lately. Even if you have data to prove it you're wrong because you only have 130 years of data. You have no clue what it did in 1092, 1612 or 1742. Lol we could have went 10 snowless years in a row for all you know??? yes I know I'm a ?

Man I wish I lived in that pre 1983 climate when it was 20/0 everyday in the winter and snowed from 11/1-5/1 like some of you guys. Tell us more about it
Yeah, Jan of '77 was a good month. I was 12 years old and still remember ice skating on the neighbor's farm pond. The way we tested the ice was simple. Just threw a cement block as high into the air as possible out in the middle of the pond and when it just bounced, we knew we were safe. Filled up a 5-gallon bucket with sand and diesel fuel. It would burn for hours. When we would get too cold, we would stand around the fire for a while. Wow, I am surprised we got away unscathed with some of the things we did. Hope I live to see weather like that again.

Yeah, Jan of '77 was a good month. I was 12 years old and still remember ice skating on the neighbor's farm pond. The way we tested the ice was simple. Just threw a cement block as high into the air as possible out in the middle of the pond and when it just bounced, we knew we were safe. Filled up a 5-gallon bucket with sand and diesel fuel. It would burn for hours. When we would get too cold, we would stand around the fire for a while. Wow, I am surprised we got away unscathed with some of the things we did. Hope I live to see weather like that again.
That reminds me of January 09 or 10. Allatoona froze over enough that some yokel tested it by hauling a manhole cover out in the lake at Kellogg Creek to see if it would break. It did not but served the purpose to tell everyone not to try and use that ramp and break the ice.

The golden age of the twc local forecast. Nothing like being out of school waiting for the 5 day business planner hoping to catch snow at D4 or 5 and crushing Linus and Lucy

Y’all’s wx nostalgia much better than my generations. Old twc stuff looks so awesome

One of my ultimate goals for this site has always been to have a twc like section with the emulator rolling the local forecast based on zip code
I have the site on my phone I don't know how to send it but it was sent on here a couple years ago. It's old weather channel

Back