• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

One thing I found interesting is the only winters that didn't have any snow here were in the very early 1900s ??? every single year in the last 30 years had at least something

I agree to a point. I too feel it's just warmer for whatever reason and that's put a strain on winter weather lately. I'm just currently hoping we're stuck in a climatogical rut, and that it will change our pattern for the better soon. I can only take so many more warm winters however...

January has me pretty optimistic though.
Well before I joined this board I thought it was just bad luck and would turn. Especially in that 2009 to 2015 timeframe. Those were good times minus that dud of 11-12. But the longer this goes on the more pessimistic I get. We'll see I guess.

It’s hard for me to wrap my brain around this being forecasted multiple times in a 7 day timeframe in our region. Can we get a January 2001 repeat of this in January 2024 please? I was 8 during this time, but I really forgot how good winters actually were here in the early 2000s. I was naive enough back then to think every winter every year would be like this. ☹️

Original source, it’s always cool to see nostalgic stuff like this again on YT.
IMG_0985.jpegIMG_0984.jpegIMG_0983.jpeg

Already complaining about Lack of Snow and Winter doesn't even officially start until Tomorrow. Who knows what the Future Holds, Heck we may all see 12" by New Year's! It's gonna do what it's gonna do regardless of how much anyone thinks they know.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Already complaining about Lack of Snow and Winter doesn't even officially start until Tomorrow. Who knows what the Future Holds, Heck we may all see 12" by New Year's! It's gonna do what it's gonna do regardless of how much anyone thinks they know.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Oh the people here are losing their minds on social media because it's gonna be warm and rainy through Christmas when most of our snow typically falls after Christmas anyway. Anyone who has lived here long knows how fast things can change here... I mean there's been thunderstorms hours before near blizzard conditions here before

Also there's been several years including a couple analogs for this winter where the snow just started in January at zero and never stopped. Heck the first winter I was here all I saw was flakes til the end of January and then we had 8 inches in 48 hours so...

Last edited:
It’s hard for me to wrap my brain around this being forecasted multiple times in a 7 day timeframe in our region. Can we get a January 2001 repeat of this in January 2024 please? I was 8 during this time, but I really forgot how good winters actually were here in the early 2000s. I was naive enough back then to think every winter every year would be like this. ☹️

Original source, it’s always cool to see nostalgic stuff like this again on YT.
View attachment 138832View attachment 138833View attachment 138834

i sure do miss the old Weather Channel. I only watch now if there's a major weather event. This was December 2000 I believe. That may have been the same storm system that brought snow to the Independence Bowl in Shreveport.

prateptype_cat-imp.conus.png

Ahhhhh, it’s my favorite time of year! Cary 95, Snowniner, Tennesseestorm, nchighcountry, Stevo, all come out of the woodwork! Must mean snow is on the way! ⛄

Feeling positive about getting some threats to follow starting in January and having at least one good snowstorm.

I'm waiting to see. Good H5 looks could fall apart tomorrow. And models currently don't show it quite cold enough to snow imby.

But so much better than when we were heading into last January. I need to find something to do over the holiday and come back January 1 to see where we are. Lol.

I saw this idea somewhere else and thought that it would be interesting to do for the main media outlet control city (KMCN-Macon, GA) in my region. The analysis regarded Christmas weather by the decade with each 10 year period daily high/low for the date forming the decade average. Unlike some other cities in the region, Macon's weather history is only documented completely from 1900 onward.

1900s High 56.6 Low 39.3
1910s High 57.0 Low 37.3
1920s High 57.3 Low 35.5
1930s High 61.7 Low 39.5 (the early 30s featured some of the torchiest Christmases on record)
1940s High 53.5 Low 39.5
1950s High 57.4 Low 40.6
1960s High 54.2 Low 32.3
1970s High 60.6 Low 40.0 (the early 70s also had warm Christmases)
1980s High 54.9 Low 37.9 (it was either blistering cold or insanely warm every Christmas in Macon this decade)
1990s High 53.5 Low 30.6
2000s High 56.2 Low 37.8
2010s High 60.1 Low 39.0
2020s High 53 Low 30.6 (so far)

I found it interesting that the Christmas weather for the immediate Central Georgia area has actaully somewhat trended colder in the last forty years compared to how things were in the earlier half of the twentieth century. I know that we all are upset over the recent deficit in terms of wintery precipiation, but there's been other periods in the not so distant past (at least in my general area) that were largely devoid of continuous winter storms. For example, my grandmother was born in 1936 and she's stated several times that she cannot remember it ever snowing when she was growing up outside of when she was extremely young (the famous January 1940 storm) and this time period would correlate with the noted snow drought that the southern half of Georgia had during most of the 1940s-1950s. On the flip side, my great grandfather (her father) was born in 1899 and he would often tell stories about how it routinely snowed when he was younger. This would correlate with the decade from 1895-1905 that argubably is the most active in history for the southern half of Georgia in terms of wintery precipiation. These patterns seem to be so cyclical in nature at times, everything just has to align up perfectly.

Back