• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

What was nice about the old time Weather Channel was that all of the mets knew geography as well. They didn't just mention towns or cities that were right in front of them on the map. They told you about places that weren't even shown. Nowadays half the time you will hear 'its raining in the Carolina's ' or there are storms in Illinois'. Back then you would hear 'its raining heavily from Roanoke Rapids to Rocky Mount' or there's a line of big storms from 'Rockford to Peoria'.
Can't beat the 90s TWC, it was a lot of fun back then. Great graphics, knowledge, and actual weather coverage! Loved watching Dave Schwartz, Christina Abernathy, Sharon Resultan, and early Jim Cantore.

Can't beat the 90s TWC, it was a lot of fun back then. Great graphics, knowledge, and actual weather coverage! Loved watching Dave Schwartz, Christina Abernathy, Sharon Resultan, and early Jim Cantore.
re: on Abernathy

re: on Abernathy

Nice Article and I tend to agree, I liked that era much better. I never knew NBC bought it but it makes sense that is when all the changes happened.

Nice Article and I tend to agree, I liked that era much better. I never knew NBC bought it but it makes sense that is when all the changes happened.
Everything has to be entertainment now, geared to a low-IQ, zero attention span culture. If it's not big, bombastic, flashy, or controversial, it gets cast aside.

Also, I know technology has advanced a great deal since the 80s and early/mid 90s, but the surface map images and 5 day forecast icons are still the gold standard for weather graphics. They're timeless and iconic. Much of the modern stuff is just not interesting.

Everything has to be entertainment now, geared to a low-IQ, zero attention span culture. If it's not big, bombastic, flashy, or controversial, it gets cast aside.

Also, I know technology has advanced a great deal since the 80s and early/mid 90s, but the surface map images and 5 day forecast icons are still the gold standard for weather graphics. They're timeless and iconic. Much of the modern stuff is just not interesting.
I want my weather forecasters to look like this

Y’all old geezers complaining but your granddaddies would look at y’all and say “ you bunch of sissies you don’t need no tv weather man to tell you what the weather is just go outside “

Yeah, think they started that stupid crap numbers game: 125 million people will be above normal tomorrow!
And crap like that! Ever since NBC bought them out and they brought on stupid Reynolds Wolf! I hated him on CNN

Y’all old geezers complaining but your granddaddies would look at y’all and say “ you bunch of sissies you don’t need no tv weather man to tell you what the weather is just go outside “
My grandpa told me a tale of when he was young, he went fishing in the Louisiana Bayous in on a warm December day and nearly froze to death when a powerful front came through. The wind made the tide go out stranding him in his flatboat and the temps dropped rapidly. He had no idea what was coming.

Dumbing down..

Back