• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

Most of suburbia throughout the South has evolved like this...Grandpa Joe owns 100 acres of land that has been passed down for generations. He earns just enough income from farming/pasturing/logging to pay the property taxes. One day Grandpa Joe dies. His heirs are offered 100k per acre. Do they keep the land and scrape by to pay taxes, or take the $10 million. Most take the money and go about their lives and boom, a new 300-home subdivision is developed. Rinse/repeat thousands of times for decades and you have modern suburbia.
That's exactly right. Everybody has a right to sell their land/homes. Two things though. We should be vetting who can buy it ( chyna and developers from all over) and two, if it were not for the influx and our counties and states selling us out for money, it would be at a normal level not this abnormal growth level. Building homes for people to come is totally different than people being able to buy what is just normally available. It's outrageous what is going on.

There is a piece of property (about 20 acres) with an old little house with and two chicken houses on it close to me. People bought it awhile back for a little over 500k. Soon after they listed it for 1.3M. Not a local realtor. Been for sale for a while now. I laugh every time I see them lowering the price. It's down to about 800k. I hope the greedy foreign transaction completely falls through. The chicken houses aren't even in good shape. Who do they think they are? SMDH

Truth to this. However the rate at which we’re seeing the corporate buying/bulldozing in the last 5-10 years is not going to be sustainable much longer. Used to be when you saw a subdivision coming up around here they were multi acre lots with septic. Now they run sewer out to their shoestring areas and build 5 houses in that same size lot while at the same time allowing developers to do all of this without some sort of rural buffer and without investing money in the road system that is about to be impacted.
Well the biggest thing to fix this outrageous problem is fix the cities and states that people are fleeing from in the first place. That's coming IMO. Then a lot of people are going to dwindle back to whence they came. People that are fleeing CA and NY for example, really do love these places. They are beautiful and great places to these folks. I don't think a lot these people really like it around here anyway. My area I've noticed for sure. ----- and complain non stop. So all our cities and counties that sold us out are risking a breakdown with what they have allowed to happen. Too much building. Sky high prices. Foreclosures then banks own and fine with them because now they own all the property and land. Who owns the banks? Dismal view but I've been saying it and saying. None of this is good....for US in the long run.

You ought to head to Maggie Valley… stay overnight and get some breakfast at Joey’s Pancake House
Wife is at a baby shower today, my oldest is over at a friends house. It’s just me and my 2 y/o. Wish it was feasible today

IMG_7523.jpegJust wild how the cold moderates East of the Apps. I mean even with the more favorable position of the trough compared to earlier this week, we will are totally outmatched & outclassed compared to areas West of the Apps. Even Dallas is colder than Columbia.

We want a building moratorium.

I have this pipe dream of an idea where we use the power of social media to gain thousands if not hundreds of thousands of followers/small donors (GoFundMe) and use that money to set up a conservation fund to stonewall the development. We use that money to outbid developers and meet with landowners within a sprawling area to put their property in some sort of protection/conservation fund. That’s really the only way to stop this that I can see. Money. It would drive local municipalities/politicians up a wall and there wouldn’t be a thing they could do about it.
Such organizations already exist. If you feel passionate enough you can protect your family property through them . Just know though these are binding agreements so once your land is conserved you can’t undo it. It won’t ever be able to be sold for development. It can be sold but just never for development

All of Greenville and most of Spartanburg is going through this. Especially along I-85, I-26 and other major roadways. I can remember when Tabs Flea Market in Greer was surrounded by nothing but woods and you needed to go another half mile or so up 29 to find development. Now the city of Greer has swallowed all of that up and that whole area looks nothing like it did 40 years ago. Union county has not grown and is in fact losing people at a fast rate. That may be very slowly beginning to change now though, at least within a half mile of Walmart.
Follow 85 from Atlanta to Richmond, it’s almost unbroken with development. I’ve done that on Google maps and it’s interesting to see. Last three years saw tons of new warehouses being built along 85 so companies can store and distribute all the Twinkie’s people are buying . Cities are sprawling but so are southern stomachs. The south in a nutshell: big stomachs , big debt, big houses, big roads , big SUVs and big parking lots

Why does it seem like Alabama is not growing as fast as some other southern states ? I would think Alabama's proximity to Atlanta would mean more growth ?

Why does it seem like Alabama is not growing as fast as some other southern states ? I would think Alabama's proximity to Atlanta would mean more growth ?
Alabama is very corrupt, but also look at Huntsville. Massive sprawl in every direction , it’s sprawled into Tennessee which is crazy for a small metro area . I watch this guy on YouTube from Huntsville area and he talks about it . @SD this guy comin for your yard bro

Back