• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

Most of suburbia throughout the South has evolved like this...Grandpa Joe owns 100 acres of land that has been passed down for generations. He earns just enough income from farming/pasturing/logging to pay the property taxes. One day Grandpa Joe dies. His heirs are offered 100k per acre. Do they keep the land and scrape by to pay taxes, or take the $10 million. Most take the money and go about their lives and boom, a new 300-home subdivision is developed. Rinse/repeat thousands of times for decades and you have modern suburbia.
Truth to this. However the rate at which we’re seeing the corporate buying/bulldozing in the last 5-10 years is not going to be sustainable much longer. Used to be when you saw a subdivision coming up around here they were multi acre lots with septic. Now they run sewer out to their shoestring areas and build 5 houses in that same size lot while at the same time allowing developers to do all of this without some sort of rural buffer and without investing money in the road system that is about to be impacted.

A major problem I see, even if you had the cash, is getting a (federal agent) to help put something under conservation.

Not going to get too much into it, but money tends to line pockets, and those "builder friends" get a lot of favors for favors.

Gonna have to Yellowstone Dutton Ranch it tbh.. for those who watch. ?

We want a building moratorium.

I have this pipe dream of an idea where we use the power of social media to gain thousands if not hundreds of thousands of followers/small donors (GoFundMe) and use that money to set up a conservation fund to stonewall the development. We use that money to outbid developers and meet with landowners within a sprawling area to put their property in some sort of protection/conservation fund. That’s really the only way to stop this that I can see. Money. It would drive local municipalities/politicians up a wall and there wouldn’t be a thing they could do about it.
Probably the best take on an actual solution I've seen.

Being absolutely honest a hockey team here will do absolutely nothing and has so little of appeal that it feels like they're just making excuses to get more money for another useless lane on 400 or something like that. With the amount of projects that I've seen die around here I think it'll fail too.
It has become very painful to drive anywhere in Forsyth County.

A major problem I see, even if you had the cash, is getting a (federal agent) to help put something under conservation.

Not going to get too much into it, but money tends to line pockets, and those "builder friends" get a lot of favors for favors.

Gonna have to Yellowstone Dutton Ranch it tbh.. for those who watch. ?
I mean you’d be at the mercy of their tax hikes in the future but look into SCLTN. I think the biggest problem is people only like to gripe and are too passive to actually do anything about it. With a collective mentality you’d have a fighting chance. These developers have deep pockets but as a collective, ours would be much deeper.

Probably the best take on an actual solution I've seen.
I have a Documentary idea where we single out a small town where this is happening and use it as a case study. We fund raise and collect money from people who share our same ideas on the issue and go through with it. We buy up property for conservation within a shoestring annexed boundary where the town no longer has the ability to reach their claws out into the countryside and scrape them back in towards their municipality. Then we monitor the impacts it has on the local economy for the next 5-10-20 years.

I have a Documentary idea where we single out a small town where this is happening and use it as a case study. We fund raise and collect money from people who share our same ideas on the issue and go through with it. We buy up property for conservation within a shoestring annexed boundary where the town no longer has the ability to reach their claws out into the countryside and scrape them back in towards their municipality. Then we monitor the impacts it has on the local economy for the next 5-10-20 years.

Regardless of your political feelings, this can be done with a lot of the "climate" worries.

Frame it as a "dire" need to preserve the planet or something.

See, Yellowstone set a nice blueprint for this idea. Get all the climate activists involved and to gunk up/slow down the projects while you figure out how to get the legal side done.

Jimmy, you need to become Governor to do this correctly...

I’ve got lows in the teens tonight tomorrow Sunday and Monday then Tuesday through Sunday I have rain every day in the forecast

?

View attachment 142950
There, there Jimmy! I got an extra room! Currently. -7
And I can’t get rid of this stuff! Storm ended last Friday ? This is today! 983A4ED5-F7F3-475F-89BD-96D0F3F7AFE5.jpegD2A35F1A-BF94-46FC-B810-3EE18F0B2998.jpeg

You think about it, this Winter is setting up just like a classic Winter. A ton of misses at first, but your traditional areas are back to actually having a Winter again. What sucks is watching the same areas to our West continue to score, but it’s cool seeing the Mid Atlantic finally get theres. Hoping the dots connect for the rest of us later in February. No offense to everyone else on here, but a GA to Carolina to VA special would nice.

I hear ya. We need some good representation. I’m in Fountain Inn. It’s time we get this unchecked growth under control. We’re losing our identity fast down here.
All of Greenville and most of Spartanburg is going through this. Especially along I-85, I-26 and other major roadways. I can remember when Tabs Flea Market in Greer was surrounded by nothing but woods and you needed to go another half mile or so up 29 to find development. Now the city of Greer has swallowed all of that up and that whole area looks nothing like it did 40 years ago. Union county has not grown and is in fact losing people at a fast rate. That may be very slowly beginning to change now though, at least within a half mile of Walmart.

All of Greenville and most of Spartanburg is going through this. Especially along I-85, I-26 and other major roadways. I can remember when Tabs Flea Market in Greer was surrounded by nothing but woods and you needed to go another half mile or so up 29 to find development. Now the city of Greer has swallowed all of that up and that whole area looks nothing like it did 40 years ago. Union county has not grown and is in fact losing people at a fast rate. That may be very slowly beginning to change now though, at least within a half mile of Walmart.
Is the Tadpole still there???

Union really is a dump! Went to a carp fishing lake there a few times, called Big D’s now, it was a real crappy little town! Wreaked of meth and broken dreams

Back