• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

IMG_0268.jpegHere is your snow, just have to drive a little ways to get to it. I took this earlier today coming over from Cherokee to Maggie Valley.

Dont do what I do. I drove home from Durham last night, arrived at 10pm. Office this morning, drove up here to MV by 5, two full days of ski patrol, back home by 7:30 in Georgia, flight to Miami at 10:57pm. I left the backdoor to my truck open last night, it’s been that kind of week.

I am assuming that this is the Banter thread. I haven't been on lately. I am actually running in the South Carolina House of Representatives this election year and the primary is in June. The district is in Southern Greenville County.
I hear ya. We need some good representation. I’m in Fountain Inn. It’s time we get this unchecked growth under control. We’re losing our identity fast down here.

I hear ya. We need some good representation. I’m in Fountain Inn. It’s time we get this unchecked growth under control. We’re losing our identity fast down here.
Good luck , that’s not going to happen friend. Take pictures for the memories. I’m sorry. Your new identity is upstate New York … your new culture is big fancy pickup truck pavement princesses and fake “country” people who spend most their time in target, Starbucks, publix, and chic fila … your now in suburbia , brought to you by your local representatives and their developer friends

22° here this morning was supposed to be 17. That was a bust, let's see if we get over the 35 it's supposed to be today. I'll take 22 over 17

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Good luck , that’s not going to happen friend. Take pictures for the memories. I’m sorry. Your new identity is upstate New York … your new culture is big fancy pickup truck pavement princesses and fake “country” people who spend most their time in target, Starbucks, publix, and chic fila … your now in suburbia , brought to you by your local representatives and their developer friends
And the only people happy about any of it are the ones making money from it. That's it. Turnin our area into a sh*t hole at lightning speed. I just can't??

Yep. That’s why I keep moving further north.

I may be knocking at your door soon. The district starts at Fairview Rd/ HWY418 up to the chilis in Simpsonville toward Anderson county.
Which district? We’ve known Mark Willis for a long time. Fountain inn guy and representative from the 16th district.

This is kind of exactly where we’re at. Carpet baggers. Everyone’s in bed with the developers. We’re calling for a 5% impact fee on every piece of land bought for development and every home proposed within. Paid upfront.

90% of the people who have pickup trucks don't need them anyway. Most of them in fact just make driving more dangerous. I am glad our county commissioner here though isn't running again especially since many of them are trying to put a multibillion dollar unnecessary HOCKEY stadium in the south part of the county. We need people who know actual urban planning because the sprawl can stop if they keep the dense with the dense and build up instead of everyone has a $800k mcmansion except the younger generations who are stuck renting 4 hours away from work. And don't even get me started on the constant clear cutting that's destroying the landscape. We can and should do better.

We want a building moratorium.

I have this pipe dream of an idea where we use the power of social media to gain thousands if not hundreds of thousands of followers/small donors (GoFundMe) and use that money to set up a conservation fund to stonewall the development. We use that money to outbid developers and meet with landowners within a sprawling area to put their property in some sort of protection/conservation fund. That’s really the only way to stop this that I can see. Money. It would drive local municipalities/politicians up a wall and there wouldn’t be a thing they could do about it.

90% of the people who have pickup trucks don't need them anyway. Most of them in fact just make driving more dangerous. I am glad our county commissioner here though isn't running again especially since many of them are trying to put a multibillion dollar unnecessary HOCKEY stadium in the south part of the county. We need people who know actual urban planning because the sprawl can stop if they keep the dense with the dense and build up instead of everyone has a $800k mcmansion except the younger generations who are stuck renting 4 hours away from work. And don't even get me started on the constant clear cutting that's destroying the landscape. We can and should do better.
Looks like the county is going to make building that development contingent on getting a hockey team first. So that may kill it if they can’t get a deal together with the NHL this year.

Looks like the county is going to make building that development contingent on getting a hockey team first. So that may kill it if they can’t get a deal together with the NHL this year.
Being absolutely honest a hockey team here will do absolutely nothing and has so little of appeal that it feels like they're just making excuses to get more money for another useless lane on 400 or something like that. With the amount of projects that I've seen die around here I think it'll fail too.

We want a building moratorium.

I have this pipe dream of an idea where we use the power of social media to gain thousands if not hundreds of thousands of followers/small donors (GoFundMe) and use that money to set up a conservation fund to stonewall the development. We use that money to outbid developers and meet with landowners within a sprawling area to put their property in some sort of protection/conservation fund. That’s really the only way to stop this that I can see. Money. It would drive local municipalities/politicians up a wall and there wouldn’t be a thing they could do about it.

Most of suburbia throughout the South has evolved like this...Grandpa Joe owns 100 acres of land that has been passed down for generations. He earns just enough income from farming/pasturing/logging to pay the property taxes. One day Grandpa Joe dies. His heirs are offered 100k per acre. Do they keep the land and scrape by to pay taxes, or take the $10 million. Most take the money and go about their lives and boom, a new 300-home subdivision is developed. Rinse/repeat thousands of times for decades and you have modern suburbia.

Back