• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

When long range ensembles show patterns conducive of Winter weather, we praise them.
When long range ensembles show patterns conducive of Spring weather, we chastise them.

I don't understand?
Can someone explain like I am 5?
Why are they wrong if they show a Spring pattern?
They are almost never wrong when they show a spring pattern. They are almost never right when they show a winter pattern.

1705691280945.gif

I have decided what I hate the most about winter weather around here; down slopping. Eastern TN getting MORE snow, high mtns getting buried, even foothills getting at least something. Yet here in the upstate we are clear as a bell and in the 40s. I hate down slopping with a passion! This week is a perfect example of why lving in the lee of the mountains is torture for winter weather.

View attachment 142916

I have decided what I hate the most about winter weather around here; down slopping. Eastern TN getting MORE snow, high mtns getting buried, even foothills getting at least something. Yet here in the upstate we are clear as a bell and in the 40s. I hate down slopping with a passion! This week is a perfect example of why lving in the lee of the mountains is torture for winter weather.
Enjoy the weather, it’s the only weather you get

It’s not an official winter, until fights break out in the main threads! Winter is officially here!
giphy.gif

I think the concern should be less about the pac jet and more about the nao showing no signs of life on the ens. If we start pushing that back we start losing spring it should be pretty stubborn once it gets going

This is a stretch to say the least, but there's a Loyd Christmas level chance that northern stream s/w could drop down and bowling ball over us like March 1, 2009. The GFS has way less west coast ridging and a weaker s/w at hr 240 compared to the euro, but still tries to cut it off over us at hr 276.

Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 3.41.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 3.38.55 PM.png

Last edited:
There is potential to squeeze a winter storm in around January 30th though. I won't give up hope on that just yet. Would nice if at least a few ensemble members started showing something though.

There is potential to squeeze a winter storm in around January 30th though. I won't give up hope on that just yet. Would nice if at least a few ensemble members started showing something though.
That set up screams Northeast & maybe the Mid Atlantic all over it. It’s a brief window but it’s there.

This is a stretch to say the least, but there's a Loyd Christmas level chance that northern stream s/w could drop down and bowling ball over us like March 1, 2009. The GFS has way less west coast ridging and a weaker s/w at hr 240 compared to the euro, but still tries to cut it off over us at hr 276.

View attachment 142927

View attachment 142926
Nice pick up burrel. We have it move the way it's been going (ala past 7 days) or it moves east. Note the west ridge placement

That set up screams Northeast & maybe the Mid Atlantic all over it. It’s a brief window but it’s there.
I think right now, VA and north is looking real good for that time frame, but I absolutely think western and central NC, SC upstate, and even Northeast GA have a chance. There is a really strong CAD signal at this lead time and with the energy shown flying around, it definitely bears watching.

I think right now, VA and north is looking real good for that time frame, but I absolutely think western and central NC, SC upstate, and even Northeast GA have a chance. There is a really strong CAD signal at this lead time and with the energy shown flying around, it definitely bears watching.
Hopefully we can get some runs rolling in that timeframe this weekend.

Back