• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

[
I don't think the -AAM is going to change quickly so which months do you think will have the best opportunity to be cold, if any?
I've been a pretty big fan of a gradual step down through the cold season. My preliminary thoughts were +5-7 for Dec, +2-4 for Jan, -1-3 for Feb, -2-4 for March. That said I'm not sure about those with what's out there now and would really want to reevaluate before a final forecast

Last edited:
[
I've been a pretty big fan of a gradual step down through the cold season. My preliminary thoughts were +5-7 for Dec, +2-4 for Jan, -1-3 for Feb, -2-4 for March. That said I'm not sure about those with what's out there now and would really want to reevaluate before a final forecast
Alot of conflicting signals more than normal. It makes it tricky. Hopefully you will post them soon when you have more confidence

What's interesting is Dr. Roundy from UOA said that he believes DEC and March may be the coldest months due to -AAM background this year.
Did he state that to you? I think you said you’ve had some dialog with him before. Reason I ask is that his 100 day low pass tool looks coldest / most wintry from late Jan thru Feb

Did he state that to you? I think you said you’ve had some dialog with him before. Reason I ask is that his 100 day low pass tool looks coldest / most wintry from late Jan thru Feb
He mentioned on Twitter about December and March the other day, perhaps he meant December and March being the warmest? I guess I was incorrect

Meteo France 3-run trend for February

nEo20yC.gif

Common sense in any el nino would tell you dont get your hopes up for December and practice patience.
I’m not sure where the panic of it doesn’t snow in December comes from honestly. I can count on one hand the snows I’ve seen in December. Late January through early March has always been the sweet spot for NC east of the mountains. I get being pessimistic with recent history but it’s somewhat ridiculous.

I’m not sure where the panic of it doesn’t snow in December comes from honestly. I can count on one hand the snows I’ve seen in December. Late January through early March has always been the sweet spot for NC east of the mountains. I get being pessimistic with recent history but it’s somewhat ridiculous.
Exactly…I could understand it if we were in a La Niña like the last several years where we know that chances of something after mid January are greatly reduced. However being in an El Niño, I pretty much expect that December isn’t going to produce. Have there been exceptions? Sure December 1997 and 2009 come to mind, but those were exceptions and not the general rule. I personally think there’s a higher chance that we have a December like 2015 than there is of us seeing snow during the month.

The +IOD correlation pattern is almost a perfect match for current global SSTs.

ncllAUwqbeS5y.tmpqq.png

crw_sstamean_global.png

When you regress this SST pattern onto 500mb heights over N America, you see the classic SW US troughing - SE Canada/eastern US ridge pattern that is so common in moderate-strong east-based El Niño winters. The +IOD is also going to suppress a lot of MJO activity over the Indo-Pacific region for the first portion of winter, providing us with less breaks from this pattern in December.

I don't really see how we avoid this in December.

nclrBemoAU2wu.tmpqq.png

The latest C3S 500mb forecast for Dec-Feb compared to the 500mb composite for moderate-strong "East-based" El Niños since 1876. December and February are very close matches overall, while the January forecast (as usual for ENSO) exhibits the greatest variance from the historical composite.

I suspect there may be an MJO or Kelvin Wave-related forcing collapse of the +IOD that spurs about this discrepancy & allows the large-scale circulation pattern to get shaken up.

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 8.26.04 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 8.25.42 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 8.25.33 AM.png

Alaska's largest city declares 'snow emergency' after record snowfall piles up on back-to-back days..​

A winter storm dropped record snowfall amounts in Anchorage, Alaska, with some areas outside of Anchorage proper receiving more than 2 feet of snowfall in just two days.

The largest city in Alaska broke its daily snowfall record on Wednesday when 9 inches of snow fell in 24 hours. For context, the previous record for Nov. 8 was 7.3 inches set in 1982. Another 8.2 inches piled up on Thursday, which also broke the daily record of 7.1 inches set on Nov. 9, 1956. That brought Anchorage's two-day total to 17.2 inches of snow.

By late Thursday, Anchorage had a 21-inch snow depth, or the total amount of snow on the ground. This was Anchorage's greatest snow depth for so early in the season, according to Alaska-based climatologist Brian Brettschneider. Already, 26.6 inches of snow has fallen in Anchorage this season, which is 17.5 inches above the average snowfall to date for Nov. 9.

Snow forecast for NC, mountains are always the hardest spot, map shows Boone in the 12-18” sector but most likely they are gonna get a foot more then that, especially during a Nino winter, but overall, a average to slightly above normal year for snow in NC, primarily the second half of winter 55053BD2-78B4-411F-8817-9011F0992079.jpeg

Snow forecast for NC, mountains are always the hardest spot, map shows Boone in the 12-18” sector but most likely they are gonna get a foot more then that, especially during a Nino winter, but overall, a average to slightly above normal year for snow in NC, primarily the second half of winter View attachment 137881
Honestly you went kinda conservative for the mountains imo.

Here's my predictions for a bunch of NC cities.

Boone: 2-3ft+

Beech Mtn: 6ft+

Asheville: 1ft-18"

Hickory: 10" - 1ft

Greensboro: 6-10"

Raleigh: 3-8" (Less south of 85, more North)

NW Charlotte Metro: 5 - 9"

Charlotte and SW Metro: 2 - 6"

Edit: I forgot the average snowfalls for Boone and Beech Mtn and underestimated them, so I revised the forecast.

Last edited:
Back