• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

Think we are heading toward a
Nino on steroids be honest ….
El nino will be peaking very soon. Absolutely no chance of a super Nino. MEI is still in weak range. For all practical purposes, we are looking at an atmosphere that acts like a weak to moderate nino despite what 3.4 temps say. That's why we haven't seen the subtropical jet fire up yet. The atmosphere has not fully recovered from that triple dip Nina.

El nino will be peaking very soon. Absolutely no chance of a super Nino. MEI is still in weak range. For all practical purposes, we are looking at an atmosphere that acts like a weak to moderate nino despite what 3.4 temps say. That's why we haven't seen the subtropical jet fire up yet. The atmosphere has not fully recovered from that triple dip Nina.
The atmosphere is clearly in -AAM state which is niña

Last edited:
Models r showing peaking mid winter actually. We have a ways to go still

Regarding basing winter outlooks on solely the ENSO state, here's a little humble pie.

I don't think anyone on here was basing the winter outlook on ENSO state alone. That's just one piece of the pie. El nino just means that the subtropical jet will be across the southern US. It's up to other factors like PNA and NAO to make the winter. I look at the prospects of high latitude blocking (AO/NAO) more than any one index. When you couple our current ENSO state with a -NAO it will average below normal in our neck of the woods 100% of those winters

Hey guys new poster here I love winter weather and I just moved to the south from Minnesota.. Hope to learn as much as possible from you experts through this upcoming winter
Best advice I can give you if you love winter weather is to move back to Minnesota….I kid I kid. But not really. Welcome though!

Hey guys new poster here I love winter weather and I just moved to the south from Minnesota.. Hope to learn as much as possible from you experts through this upcoming winter
The dynamics here are like threading yarn through a fine needle ?! There are many here that are well versed in setups but at the end of the day it’s anyone’s guess. Not like where you are from where you can seeing it coming for a week! Timing on everything is key here.

So, it's November, time for predictions for the winter to come out in full force. Here are my two cents.

I don't understand the intricacies of the Nino and east based, etc. However I feel that they're generally wet so I think the winter will have moisture around. But really who knows? Ninos act like Ninas and vice versa based on pacific forcing, so I don't put much stock in them anymore. Temperatures I believe will be warm overall, 3-5 degrees above normal. This is simply because that's what it always is, we always have warmer than normal winters IMBY. I'm not sure I remember the last time it was overall cooler than average so I'm betting the streak. So, wet, generally warm but periods of cold based on when the pacific jet hits the sweet spot. When it's in the right spot for a western ridge/eastern trough, we'll have a shot at winter weather. When it's retreated, or on steroids, we're warm. Honestly I think this is our winters for the foreseeable future.

Will the pacific jet be in the right spot enough to get us winter weather? I don't know. It seems like the MJO has had a significant influence the last few years, so I'll be watching that.

Back