• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

El Niños like the one coming up (especially later in the winter) love I-40. The eastern US is the biggest wildcard, late jan-Feb in El Niño winters (not the Mickey Mouse ass El Niños we’ve recently had) normally are boom or bust across the eastern US, gonna go with the boom scenario, especially with the signal for NW Canada ridging which is the threshold normally for winter stormsView attachment 137538
That's a great map fro! I'd say pretty realistic.

El Niños like the one coming up (especially later in the winter) love I-40. The eastern US is the biggest wildcard, late jan-Feb in El Niño winters (not the Mickey Mouse ass El Niños we’ve recently had) normally are boom or bust across the eastern US, gonna go with the boom scenario, especially with the signal for NW Canada ridging which is the threshold normally for winter stormsView attachment 137538
I believe there will be an opportunity for a storm or two that will dig deeper into Alabama this winter as well. Don’t you?

I believe there will be an opportunity for a storm or two that will dig deeper into Alabama this winter as well. Don’t you?
Biggest problem during ninos is tendency for Miller B setups and or setups that lack cold air, reason I didn’t go further south is climo, and because cold air can be a issue during ninos

Idk why but I'm not ready to automatically write off December, at least not all of it. Depending on how the teleconnections evolve over next month there could probably be at least a small period of cold/potential for winter weather in December.

Biggest problem during ninos is tendency for Miller B setups and or setups that lack cold air, reason I didn’t go further south is climo, and because cold air can be a issue during ninos
Oh I agree with you 100%, I just know I’ve gotten snow/ice with a perfect setup numerous of times in my life time that were either Nino or neutral or Nina. I’m just hoping for that again even if climo says different.

Well hello! I’m sure some of you know me, You know who you are. Anyways, I wanted to join the winter discussion chat as we near the winter season of 2023-24. If you have any questions, I’ll be here.
Welcome aboard. Get ready for exciting and disappointments

His forecast is safe and I would agree with it 100%. There's too many question marks around how potentially over active the STJ will be and how blocked we get along either coast. It certainly has potential to drop a classic deep south to the Carolinas big event but I'd hedge my bets on the Jackson to bham to cae to South of RDU being in a sleet/freezing rain/change over corridor vs AN snow at this time

His forecast is safe and I would agree with it 100%. There's too many question marks around how potentially over active the STJ will be and how blocked we get along either coast. It certainly has potential to drop a classic deep south to the Carolinas big event but I'd hedge my bets on the Jackson to bham to cae to South of RDU being in a sleet/freezing rain/change over corridor vs AN snow at this time
What about north of 85

IMG_0096.jpeg

I'd go 8-12 at your loc right now. I have some real issues trusting cold to stay in place in the mid levels and think we will see the warm nose get up toward GSO/Roxboro/south hill with anything unless we get substantial blocking
I could see some of SN-IP-ZR/RN-SN specials. I’d be surprised if we aren’t being thrown chances on a semi regular basis, it’s just gonna take the cherries to line up for the right amount of cold air. If you can line up cold for a two or three week period, I honestly could see us hitting a homer.

I could see some of SN-IP-ZR/RN-SN specials. I’d be surprised if we aren’t being thrown chances on a semi regular basis, it’s just gonna take the cherries to line up for the right amount of cold air. If you can line up cold for a two or three week period, I honestly could see us hitting a homer.
Any given Sunday! ?. Everyone is always down on any chance but we never know. Could it be any worse than last year?

Uh oh we have trouble brewing. Not good!
Maybe we need a below average snowcover extent. Seems the high years didn't help the east much anyway.

Yeah, after this last 10 years or so, I’m definitely not sold on the Eurasian snow cover theory. I’m much more interested in how quickly the north slope of Alaska and NW Canada territories build up snow pack

Back