• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

el-nino-snow-season-impact.jpg

First post since March. I can smell the shorter days approaching.? one of the most uneventful springs/summers since I've been here. Almost no thunder. But the temps have been great!

we cruising for a strong El Nino. I hope that doesn't blast us with too much southern energy. But hey I'm down for a change of pace after what 3 Nina's winters in a row?
It really doesn't look like we're headed to a strong El Nino though. Moderate at best.

And yes, a shake-up in the Pacific is welcome.

We're due for a good winter!

Reactions: WSW
I believe we will get much colder, but will it be too late for most on this forum due to the niño not shifting west enough or quick enough to save winter? The look for jan/Feb looks good, for now, but we shall see of course. -PDO's in winter are typically the death snell in winter for everyone except the west, especially the really neg pdo's. One must stay positive since it's still early, and we still have conflicting signals that still give us a chance

Personally I never count December as I can only count on a hand any times we’ve had an event that amounted to anything. In my memory it’s always late January through March unless I’m missing something

Technically our only real snow last year was December but I agree... I still can't believe we never got anything else tbh

It was awful. Can only get better from here. You guys usually have better shots at snow in December as opposed to the East Coast i think.

It was awful. Can only get better from here. You guys usually have better shots at snow in December as opposed to the East Coast i think.

When I lived in Dallas I had weather friends tell me it was usually February and that was certainly true in 2021(also their biggest snowstorm was in February) but last year sucked for sure. It can't be any worse

The two blizzards here were Christmas and early February in 2009 and 2011 and of course the 21-22 winter not much happened til February which is still the biggest snowstorm I've seen here

This like the tenth time I've posted this over the years, but man it was some storm. The below totals are nearly all sleet around the Triangle:
View attachment 137348

This individual storm would also match well with the AccuWeather forecast.
Yes it was. I remember that storm like it was yesterday. The first flake was at around 10:30 that Saturday morning and it was on after that. Me and my best friend who has passed on now sledded all day Saturday once the storm got started till we couldn't feel our hands and feet that evening and did it again all day Sunday. Got a foot out of that storm and I remember whiteout conditions several times during that storm. We got all Snow from the beginning to end out of that one and didn't mix over to sleet which was rare in this area with winter storms. This was probably my best storm along with the blizzard of 93 and the Feb 94 Ice storm. Man what I wouldn't give to see another one.

I recall a very strong El Nino in 1997-98 that produced snow in December. There was a big snow event in MS and AL in Mid December and Late December we had snow in GA.
You’re correct, but the pattern for most of that month was for the east. The pattern flip with a strong cold front on Christmas.

Personally I never count December as I can only count on a hand any times we’ve had an event that amounted to anything. In my memory it’s always late January through March unless I’m missing something
Agreed. For our area, I’ve always considered anything before January 1 to be a bonus. Obviously they have happened before and will happen again… I doubt that it’s this year with the stronger Nino, but as we saw in late Dec 1997 there can be exceptions.

I think this winter will shock people based off last year awful season. It wont take much to make it a great year. Its going to start slow and people will complain ( Brick) J/K which is normal but come true winter Jan- March I think its going to be great. I see a above avg year from 90% of this board.

This is from the FA. They are right 40% of the time and I think this year they will be closer to right then wrong.
Precipitation:
We expect a wet winter with above-normal precipitation and snowfall for the Southeast (most of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia). The best chances for snow occur in late January and mid-February. We do not expect a white Christmas.

Temperature:
Unlike much of the U.S., the Southeast will have a mild winter with above-normal temperatures overall. The coldest periods will arrive in late December and early and mid-February.

*To be honest they were right about the rainfall last winter but way wrong about snowfall for the SE.

Agreed. For our area, I’ve always considered anything before January 1 to be a bonus. Obviously they have happened before and will happen again… I doubt that it’s this year with the stronger Nino, but as we saw in late Dec 1997 there can be exceptions.
I’ve lived here from 1997-2001 and 2012-now. Don’t think I’ve ever seen it snow here in December.

January and especially February is where we will make our money this winter. I am hoping that by the time the week of Christmas rolls around we will be seeing a change to below normal from the likely above average temps you see in December from El ninos. But I like the opportunity for above average snowfall or at least a couple of systems for most alone and north of 20. Likely a big dog and maybe 1 or 2 2-4" type events which is gravy for us.

I’ve lived here from 1997-2001 and 2012-now. Don’t think I’ve ever seen it snow here in December.
CLT metro had 4-6” on 12/29/1997. Also obviously there was the Christmas storm in 2010 which it looks like you weren’t here for… yes both of those still have a good snowfall for us in the southeast part of the metro area. There’s been some smaller ones over the years, but those are the two that stand out in my lifetime. Oh and 12/4-5/2002 wasn’t much snow but it was the worst ice storm that CLT metro has ever had.

You’ve got to at least pay attention starting after Thanksgiving. It’s rare but can happen with the right situation. Even without the foot in 2017 we had several events in 2000 and a few in the 90s.

Back