• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

I would love a good sleet storm or anything frozen this winter for that matter. I miss a good sleet storm.
This like the tenth time I've posted this over the years, but man it was some storm. The below totals are nearly all sleet around the Triangle:
1696452226052.png

This individual storm would also match well with the AccuWeather forecast.

This like the tenth time I've posted this over the years, but man it was some storm. The below totals are nearly all sleet around the Triangle:
View attachment 137348

That was an amazing storm for Northern and Western Virginia. We had 28 inches on the 6th-7th then 6 more on the 9th and another half foot on the 12th.

View attachment 137348

This was the first time I ever experienced a sleet storm with temperatures in the upper teens

View attachment 137348

I still argue that map doesnt have enough detail. We received at least double in Gaston County where I grew up.

I still argue that map doesnt have enough detail. We received at least double in Gaston County where I grew up.
I agree. I lived in northern Cabarrus County at the time and had 6.7” while my grandmother’s house near Lake Norman in Cornelius had almost 9”. A few days later we had another 5” from another storm. School ended up being out from 1/6 through 1/15 and there was still a lot of snow on the ground and some side streets still covered when we went back.

cansips_apcpna_multimonth_us_3.png

Good thing we never count on December in El Niño. It will flip come January.
I recall a very strong El Nino in 1997-98 that produced snow in December. There was a big snow event in MS and AL in Mid December and Late December we had snow in GA.

I recall a very strong El Nino in 1997-98 that produced snow in December. There was a big snow event in MS and AL in Mid December and Late December we had snow in GA.
Correct, I don’t think we will have another 09/10 again but wish we can. This winter looks to be close to that winter but peaks later.

Back