• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

Oh yeah. You can see them good all along hwy 9 through Boiling Springs. Beautiful area, just painful for snowlovers. It's amazing how age changes you. When I was a kid my family had a beach house in Garden City Beach. I wanted to move there so bad! Now I haven't been to the Myrtle Beach area in 15+ years. Just not my thing anymore. Driving a truck over the country I wanted to live in the plains or either the mountain west. I guess because it was so much different than what I was used to. I guess you just get bored with certain areas lol
I lived part time just between New Prospect and Boiling Springs for a couple years as a teenager (81-83ish). If my memory is right we had pretty decent snows each winter.

Oh yeah. You can see them good all along hwy 9 through Boiling Springs. Beautiful area, just painful for snowlovers. It's amazing how age changes you. When I was a kid my family had a beach house in Garden City Beach. I wanted to move there so bad! Now I haven't been to the Myrtle Beach area in 15+ years. Just not my thing anymore. Driving a truck over the country I wanted to live in the plains or either the mountain west. I guess because it was so much different than what I was used to. I guess you just get bored with certain areas lol
Haha. True that. Not sure where i want to go after i close on current place. I was thinking about going out West.

Yep the 80s were fantastic! Been downhill since lol
Yep. All down here from there. If it wasn't for the blizzard of 93 and January of 96 in my area that saved us and the big ice storm of Feb 94 just north of you. The 90s would of been just as bad as the snow drought or any frozen precipitation drought we are in now. Looking forward to seeing something frozen fall this Winter hopefully. It's been tough sledding around these parts lately.

Haha. True that. Not sure where i want to go after i close on current place. I was thinking about going out West.
Yeah it's beautiful. The micro climates are insane and it's heavily dependent on elevation. Flagstaff is an example of one of those extreme micro climates. Nothing but desert as far as one can see, but climb that mountain and it's pretty and green and averages probably 100 inches of snow per year. I'd be happy to give suggestions if you decide to move out there. I've seen and driven through it all and a weather enthusiast would have to pick the right location as the weather can be rather boring in a lot of places. I remember a guy on these boards moved to Montana from Alabama and it clearly wasn't what he thought. Mostly cold and extremely dry in winter.

Yep. All down here from there. If it wasn't for the blizzard of 93 and January of 96 in my area that saved us and the big ice storm of Feb 94 just north of you. The 90s would of been just as bad as the snow drought or any frozen precipitation drought we are in now. Looking forward to seeing something frozen fall this Winter hopefully. It's been tough sledding around these parts lately.
Yep it's been rough. I would like to think the odds are in our favor this year to see decent snowfall. But I've all but given up on a double digit season. It's got to actually do it before I believe it can happen now. Maybe up your way you can still pull one out here and there. The cutoff is insane in this part. Hasn't happened here in 30 years but you've probably had a few in that time period. But go on up 50 more miles to your north around Marion and they probably hit double digits almost every year.

I lived part time just between New Prospect and Boiling Springs for a couple years as a teenager (81-83ish). If my memory is right we had pretty decent snows each winter.
Those were very snowy winters in upstate SC. Especially 1982. March 1983 had a big storm too.

Yep it's been rough. I would like to think the odds are in our favor this year to see decent snowfall. But I've all but given up on a double digit season. It's got to actually do it before I believe it can happen now. Maybe up your way you can still pull one out here and there. The cutoff is insane in this part. Hasn't happened here in 30 years but you've probably had a few in that time period. But go on up 50 more miles to your north around Marion and they probably hit double digits almost every year.
Yeah no doubt about the cutoff. I've see some crazy north and south with the elevation with the snowfall totals. Your exactly right. Just north of me in the county right up 221 the snowfall totals double as you go north into northern Rutherford and into McDowell and they decrease double as you go 11 miles south down to Chesnee down 221 into SC for every mile south your going you keep losing that elevation and the totals drop it seems like every mile south you go. I have had some double digit snowfall winters in the last 30 years but they are getting very far and few in between in the last 15 or so years. This little area of Rutherford county I live in 9/10 times gets the upstate weather like you get more often than not but every so rarely we will get some of the mountain weather if the storm tracks just right here. Here are the years I remember double digit snowfalls in my backyard in the last 30 years and I'm 11 miles north of the SC border right off 221. A lot of those double digit totals came in just one storm.
92-93
95-96
99-00
02-03
03-04
09-10
10-11
18-19

Wouldn’t mind this showing up at peak climo. Definitely not the coldest look though, and far more favorable for the mid Atlantic during peak climo. But if this showed up in mid January, I would be mildly optimistic 196153EB-C47B-4A75-9807-504204D34086.png1DBFB584-4B72-4197-B4B4-AC7E3AA78495.png16F1AA2F-58C4-42C9-9701-767BA73DE360.png

Back