• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

A few tablespoons of original Dawn with water in a spray bottle is 100% effective, and safe for plants and animals (unless you are a Joro and have it sprayed on you, then you asphyxiate and die).
I am going to try that today! There amazingly were not any in my way at the barn this morning but a ton hanging on a nearby tree. I'm not sure why since I deal with it day after day. Hopeful that they are diminishing or a behavioral change. Dawn was part of the lineup in the article for killing but it said 40 or less effective so I didn't try yet. I will now. I sure hope so because it would be way less expensive. I always spend the time and eye strain to make sure they indeed die. Sort of tiring but I wouldn't know for sure. Even bleach didn't do what bug spray does and I was surprised about that last year. Can't wait to see about the Dawn. Thanks

Just make sure you get them coated real well. It depends on making sure their abdomen is soaked. The dawn makes water adhere to their shell blocking their "noses", where they take in oxygen.

Don't blast them with a thin powerful stream. I use more of a mist pattern, maybe a little tighter but not super forceful.

Just make sure you get them coated real well. It depends on making sure their abdomen is soaked. The dawn makes water adhere to their shell blocking their "noses", where they take in oxygen.

Don't blast them with a thin powerful stream. I use more of a mist pattern, maybe a little tighter but not super forceful.
I will have to find some lower to the ground to do what you said. There were only about 8 in a 10 by 10 space up in the air around two branches. Didn't faze them but I had to do super force stream to even reach. I soaked but probably still not enough. One even attacked another one well after I sprayed her. Crazy. I am also going to start looking for the egg sacs too.

Egg sacs are small and jagged. They may appear like prey they caught and wrapped up.

Mist to slightly cone shape is best. I use a ladder to reach a few on a tall camelia bush, but most of the ones around my house I can reach by foot. Narrow and strong stream won't get them wet like is needed. Just a touch of the solution on them won't work, gotta soak their entire body in it.

I am going to try that today! There amazingly were not any in my way at the barn this morning but a ton hanging on a nearby tree. I'm not sure why since I deal with it day after day. Hopeful that they are diminishing or a behavioral change. Dawn was part of the lineup in the article for killing but it said 40 or less effective so I didn't try yet. I will now. I sure hope so because it would be way less expensive. I always spend the time and eye strain to make sure they indeed die. Sort of tiring but I wouldn't know for sure. Even bleach didn't do what bug spray does and I was surprised about that last year. Can't wait to see about the Dawn. Thanks
I use Off, or any other Deet spray for ants, spiders, roaches, etc. It's less toxic to me than regular ant spray. It can be expensive, but just a spritz does the trick, and immediately. I don't use it on wasps, yellow jackets, etc. because you have to get so close, lol. The 20 foot spray wasp killer works great for that, but that stuff is really expensive, still 20 feet away beats three feet away with it comes to maddened stinging, swarming devil's spawn like yellow jackets. This is the time of year to watch out for those, as it's so easy to walk over a ground nest as you can't see them until they are all over you.

Record -pdo is concerning off coast of Japan. Promotes lots of troughs out west. Still early but will be interesting if the niño stays non coupled moving forward. Pure speculation at this point though
Everything promotes troughs out west nowadays.

I guess a plague of bats is next, a yellow jacket scourge... or hunter killers of some sort, brought to earth on rocks from space. Nature will create balance, or try to. There's just too many hepped up manic spiders.. too many. Oh, the humanity!!
Murder Hornets dude, or Killer Bees & Yellow Jackets,, Oh wait..

It's funny how he mentions only the big winters in typical JB fashion. Most analog packages I see also have 97-98, 15-16 which I know were duds overall. Also seems like 82-83 and 86-87 were in there. Not sure what those winters were like.
97-98 15-16 Not so good for me, but I would prefer 82-83 or 86-87 over 76-77 and 77-78 . The 76-77 77-78 more freezing rain and sleet where the 82-83 and 86-87 had some snows.

gfs_asnow_us_65.png

It's funny how he mentions only the big winters in typical JB fashion. Most analog packages I see also have 97-98, 15-16 which I know were duds overall. Also seems like 82-83 and 86-87 were in there. Not sure what those winters were like.
We’re due another 76/77 and 77:78 , and 9/10 winter!! We’re due!

82-83 was really a good Winter for much of Virginia. I remember the Presidents Day Storm in February. 24-30 inches for just that storm alone.

Back