• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

Screaming gulf Lows to me.
cfs-mon_01_apcpna_multimonth_us_3.png
Nice painting. Make for some good wall art. If you see this many gulf threats, you would more than likely see wavelengths stretching into Colorado, Nebraska, and Kansas. This just looks off to me.

How will high wind in a winter storm get rid of spiders? Looking to learn!
I had a massive amount of Joro spiders in summer 22, they were all over house and shrubs. After the prolonged deep freeze last winter, the amount of Joros is at least half of last year. They'll likely bounce back to usual levels next year if we don't get another long deep freeze.

I had a massive amount of Joro spiders in summer 22, they were all over house and shrubs. After the prolonged deep freeze last winter, the amount of Joros is at least half of last year. They'll likely bounce back to usual levels next year if we don't get another long deep freeze.
Well how will a blizzard help? Snow with 35mph winds?

How will high wind in a winter storm get rid of spiders? Looking to learn!
I dunno. Just desperate and they are making my quality of life dismal. Infestation and invasion. I don't care what anybody says. Not to mention nobody really knows the outcome of this plague. It's not normal. Maybe the winds will blow them back to China Japan etc. Maybe a big fat snow on the ground for a week atop a couple of .25 inches of ice storms will hinder. I doubt it though. I saw one in my barn right after the 6 degree temp last year. These things are super spiders. I want my normal 2 or 3 writing spiders back Lord.

And I must add that I guess for some people they are not really a nuisance if they don't go outside and work, or in the woods etc. I literally have to kill them everyday just to get in my barn, chicken runs, on my golf cart, in my truck, on the tractor or anywhere I'm going because I'm outside all the time. My husband and other UPS people are getting tired of them. Nobody wants spiders in their face nonstop. Bring back the regular spiders. I love them now. LOL!!

Last edited:
I dunno. Just desperate and they are making my quality of life dismal. Infestation and invasion. I don't care what anybody says. Not to mention nobody really knows the outcome of this plague. It's not normal. Maybe the winds will blow them back to China Japan etc. Maybe a big fat snow on the ground for a week atop a couple of .25 inches of ice storms will hinder. I doubt it though. I saw one in my barn right after the 6 degree temp last year. These things are super spiders. I want my normal 2 or 3 writing spiders back Lord.

And I must add that I guess for some people they are not really a nuisance if they don't go outside and work, or in the woods etc. I literally have to kill them everyday just to get in my barn, chicken runs, on my golf cart, in my truck, on the tractor or anywhere I'm going because I'm outside all the time. My husband and other UPS people are getting tired of them. Nobody wants spiders in their face nonstop. Bring back the regular spiders. I love them now. LOL!!

I haven’t seen any Joro spiders, but we have orb weavers which pretty much do what you are describing. Beautiful spiders, really spiky butts which is how you often realize you have driven though a web, or two or ten.

1695578418303.jpeg

We need a blizzard and a couple of ice storms to hopefully get rid of all these stupid spiders. Giving me ulcers! Dear Jesus!!
Plus one. I can't go out anymore without all the Bilbo spiders trying to catch me. Stinging webs from everything at head height so I get blinded by the webbing, and Shelob can sneak up on me. It's got to stop. I used to think the web making was predictive since when the spiders started taking steroids it got really cold that winter, but, nooooo. They go beserk ahead of dumpster winters too. First it was tundra swarms of mosquitoes doing the backstoke thru the poison fog I enveloped them in, and now it's spider super high ways every late summer/early fall. I guess a plague of bats is next, a yellow jacket scourge... or hunter killers of some sort, brought to earth on rocks from space. Nature will create balance, or try to. There's just too many hepped up manic spiders.. too many. Oh, the humanity!!

As long as there is prolonged subfreezing temps (including day highs). A week long frigid cold spell will hurt them (at least those who layed eggs away from warm houses)
I’ve only found one this year so far. My parents down in acworth have tons of them. I do have plenty of orb weavers and writing spiders.

I haven’t seen any Joro spiders, but we have orb weavers which pretty much do what you are describing. Beautiful spiders, really spiky butts which is how you often realize you have driven though a web, or two or ten.

View attachment 137196
Plus one. I can't go out anymore without all the Bilbo spiders trying to catch me. Stinging webs from everything at head height so I get blinded by the webbing, and Shelob can sneak up on me. It's got to stop. I used to think the web making was predictive since when the spiders started taking steroids it got really cold that winter, but, nooooo. They go beserk ahead of dumpster winters too. First it was tundra swarms of mosquitoes doing the backstoke thru the poison fog I enveloped them in, and now it's spider super high ways every late summer/early fall. I guess a plague of bats is next, a yellow jacket scourge... or hunter killers of some sort, brought to earth on rocks from space. Nature will create balance, or try to. There's just too many hepped up manic spiders.. too many. Oh, the humanity!

I’ve only found one this year so far. My parents down in acworth have tons of them. I do have plenty of orb weavers and writing spiders.
Did you have a ton of them last year or year before?

Did you have a ton of them last year or year before?
I'd say more than 5 and less than 15 years back, the spiders started doing steroids and having web building contests. They'd run lines from the tallest trees down to a few feet off the ground. Trying to catch chipmunks, I'm pretty sure, and owls and hawks when they swope thru the trees. I've been on this land for 23 years, and the spider games are a new development. Started when winter became extinct, except the first few years when it got down below 10, or so. I think Ga is now a year around tropical paradise to mossies and wasps and bugs of all persuasions. Last winter it never got below 23 here, and I'm pretty sure spider bikinis were the arachnid rage at the bug mall all winter.

I have read what I can I find to read about the Joros. I don't think anybody really knows a whole lot about them and certainly not the outcome of what they will do in the future. I have been around them, watching and killing etc and they are out of control. They can survive the cold because of their heartrates and stuff. We need prolonged winter precip.

I was reading what some say will kill them. Pesticides that is. The hell with sticks and moving them. They say liquid 7 is 80 percent. Wasp spray 100 percent of course but it would cost a fortune not to mention probably not a good idea spraying that all over the place. The tough thing about spiders and regular home pesticide is spiders just walk right over it without it effecting them. Joros float too so even harder.
So this is what I've learned and works amazingly. The concentrate with Bifenthrin 7.9 percent is awesome for indoor and outdoor. I have never had a pest control company and I do it myself for my home. Works wonderful for everything. The Compare-N-Save on Amazon is cheap and works great. 16 oz makes up to 88 gallons. 21 bucks or so. I sprayed all under the eaves, where I had tons of Joros. Cheap squirt bottle and doused the house. Reaches farther than pump up sprayer. The cheap ones like at Walmart with either white, green or blue tops. Thos 5.00 expensive ones don't even squirt as far for as long. No staining or anything on white siding. That was over a month ago and NO SPIDERS accept lately I have seen like 3 dead ones hanging. It's time to do it again. It's almost like it repels. I have been shocked about this. And so relieved!!

I go through liquid 7 like crazy. I don't spray the Bifenthrin all over the barn and trees because of the chickens. The 7 works great and kills them dead. Actually quicker than the Bifenthrin. Little spiders need a couple of squirts but the huge ones 4 or 5. May be up to us to get these things under control so gird yourselves with squirt bottles and look to make sure Joros are the only targets. It's sort of therapeutic. LOL. JORO POSSE.

Oh and I took a ride around on the country roads in my area today. In two spots there were what they call super webs and there were 100's and 100's. I'm talking in small areas of a just feet between trees. Absolutely what nightmares are made of. NOT NORMAL. BRING ON THE PROLONGED FREEZE PLEASE! I hope living south of 85 is not going to make me have a nervous breakdown. I need snow and ice now for a real purpose. lol.

Last edited:
I'd say more than 5 and less than 15 years back, the spiders started doing steroids and having web building contests. They'd run lines from the tallest trees down to a few feet off the ground. Trying to catch chipmunks, I'm pretty sure, and owls and hawks when they swope thru the trees. I've been on this land for 23 years, and the spider games are a new development. Started when winter became extinct, except the first few years when it got down below 10, or so. I think Ga is now a year around tropical paradise to mossies and wasps and bugs of all persuasions. Last winter it never got below 23 here, and I'm pretty sure spider bikinis were the arachnid rage at the bug mall all winter.
Ha Ha!!!
Gosh. I can't believe you have had so little. I guess I'm in hell. Looking on the map of the spread in northern and northeast GA, they either not farther south yet or it gets less of what environment they thrive. I dunno. I literally see and kill them everyday. Yesterday morning I had to kill about 3 just to walk in the barn and 12 or more to continue through to do all my work. That's not including others around the rest of the day. IT'S OUTRAGEOUS. I may try to go back and take a pic of the super webs I saw today and post. I'm scared to even do that but it's unreal.
I just had a thought. Maybe the drought will kill them. Hmmmmmm.

From CNN. Nothing new information wise, but they do show a picture of Raleigh during an ice event in Jan 2016:

<edit>
Here's a write up on the storm they referenced (pic of Raleigh):

Last edited:
I have read what I can I find to read about the Joros. I don't think anybody really knows a whole lot about them and certainly not the outcome of what they will do in the future. I have been around them, watching and killing etc and they are out of control. They can survive the cold because of their heartrates and stuff. We need prolonged winter precip.

I was reading what some say will kill them. Pesticides that is. The hell with sticks and moving them. They say liquid 7 is 80 percent. Wasp spray 100 percent....

A few tablespoons of original Dawn with water in a spray bottle is 100% effective, and safe for plants and animals (unless you are a Joro and have it sprayed on you, then you asphyxiate and die).

Back