• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2021-2022 predictions

If I was to go with what I’m seeing for DJF, I’d go for slightly above average for most of the SE, especially towards the eastern SE, lots of signals for Atlantic blocking on climate models which tends to mean average

I remember predicting near average temps for thr SE last year? Can anyone with access to maps tell me how accurate I was?

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

So I’m continuing to watch temperatures across the cold air source areas of Alaska into the northern Yukon. The two cities I’m following closest are Fairbanks and Barrow. There is still no signs of any extended abnormal warmth in that region. In fact after having a couple days last week spike well into the 80s, Fairbanks has actually cooled off to below average temperatures and doesn’t look to go past the mid 60s through the next ten days. Aside from a few days here and there, Barrow has stayed below average the entire summer and is now beginning to see its lows drop back close to freezing nightly and highs basically in the 38-42 range… also they are looking at their first snowfall possibilities since mid June over the next few days. I can’t help but wonder if the much cooler temperatures this summer compared to recent years in this region is having a direct impact on the Arctic sea ice levels being much higher compared to last year. Anyway, we’ll see if the cooler times continues up there. Remember they are quickly beginning to lose daylight now… Fairbanks is now losing 15 minutes a day, while Barrow is losing over 30.

Back