• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2021-2022 predictions

Bruh we all know what’s going to happen this winter … almost every winter is the same around here… we’re cool most of the time and have sparse weeks of both well above average temps and well below average temps … we will chase long range pattern looks and hope they match up with some analog from 1824 and think maybe we could see a flake on Saturday … then nothing happens for like 3 weeks and then we actually have a week long period where an actual solid winter storm setup could happen with how the pattern shakes out and 1/3 of the people here’s backyards get covered … everyone else gets 1.5 inch lollipop events scattered through the months and then BOOM a tornado outbreak shakes the winter weenies out of their (yes I’m included) delusion that it’s somehow going to snow multiple inches in the south past March.

Doubt seriously we will ever see one them again… to much has changed since 70s 80s
Even the 70s and 80s weren’t exceptionally cold from beginning to end ... 77 was severely cold for 1 month and that’s that for example . It’s been since the 30s since we had a winter have all 3 months avg highs above 60! We are severely overdue

Even the 70s and 80s weren’t exceptionally cold from beginning to end ... 77 was severely cold for 1 month and that’s that for example . It’s been since the 30s since we had a winter have all 3 months avg highs above 60! We are severely overdue

1962-3, 1969-70, 1976-7, 1977-8, and 2009-10 were all cold pretty much from start to end. These were top 10 cold winters for much of the SE going back to the late 1800s. Of course, globally the 60s-70s were colder, too, which helped the first 4 listed winters.

Last week, the Nino 3.4 region anomaly cooled from -0.4 C to -0.9C. This isn’t what I wanted to see as one who would prefer the winter not be mild. That’s because moderate to strong La Niña’s have on average been the warmest category of ENSO during winter in the SE US going back to the late 1800s. So, this is good news for those who don’t want a cold winter, the number of which has appeared to increase here over the last year or so based on posts complaining about cold. I hope this winter will be one of the ones that buck that mild trend and at least come in near normal. But for now, the Vegas odds for mild have increased. I bet @Myfrotho704_ and @Lickwx are happy, among others.

Edit: I’m talking only about the SE US. So, actually a place like DFW isn’t as likely to be
mild as the SE.

Last edited:
Last week, the Nino 3.4 region anomaly cooled from -0.4 C to -0.9C. This isn’t what I wanted to see as one who would prefer the winter not be mild. That’s because moderate to strong La Niña’s have on average been the warmest category of ENSO during winter in the SE US going back to the late 1800s. So, this is good news for those who don’t want a cold winter, the number of which has appeared to increase here over the last year or so based on posts complaining about cold. I hope this winter will be one of the ones that buck that mild trend and at least come in near normal. But for now, the Vegas odds for mild have increased. I bet @Myfrotho704_ @Lickwx and @NorthDFWwx are happy, among others.
It’s good news for severe storm weenies like 63storms, etc.

After last year winter up here in Montana you guys can have all the snow and cold. I don’t even want to see one flake fall in the sky and the temps need to stay above 50 degrees with clear skies
Most of us don't want the cold that you get. Maybe a week or two of it but that's it. If we get a couple winter events (which is possible) we're good. I've had people ask me why I don't move to a place like N. Dakota. I tell them I like the cold/snow we (can) get, not the cold/snow N. Dakota gets.

Back