• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

14 ice storms for Catawba county.
I’m telling you, this is GSPs year!
Airport will be @ 200% of normal ( 12”)
Simpsonville = tr
The S of 85 curse continues
TR= 18” winter total
33-35 degree rain events= 12
i think the curse ends for us this year. We’re way overdue for a 6” event. We lock it in this year with a hybrid clipper dropping in and pivoting over the upstate. It will be glorious

My predictions.

Multiple sleepless nights waiting for the 00z models.

At least two occasions of the board going apepoop after a weenie run only to cliff jump when the next run isn't as good.

We will all be NAM'd at one point or another.

My backyard will get sleeted to hell while a few miles north of me gets pounded with snow.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

My predictions.

At least two occasions of the board going apepoop after a weenie run only to cliff jump when the next run isn't as good.

My backyard will get sleeted to hell while a few miles north of me gets pounded with snow.

Sounds about right, only thing I would fixed is the sleet part for my area. We can’t even get sleet here while areas in all direction around me see snow. Living in the pit of winter hell is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly not a prediction. We haven't had a devastating ICE storm since what 2004? Got that eerie feeling somewhere on this board gets a Ice Crush Job this season. I wouldn't wish that on anyone and am certainly NOT hoping it happens.

Certainly not a prediction. We haven't had a devastating ICE storm since what 2004? Got that eerie feeling somewhere on this board gets a Ice Crush Job this season. I wouldn't wish that on anyone and am certainly NOT hoping it happens.

It’s been since 2001 for my area, creeping on to almost 20 years.... ticking time bomb.

My predictions.

My thoughts ... 1899 will look like a walk in the park ... (and I have reasons to say that, given, among other things, the heat we've seen this spring and summer) ... o_O

My thoughts ... 1899 will look like a walk in the park ... (and I have reasons to say that, given, among other things, the heat we've seen this spring and summer) ... o_O
That’s the purple unicorn winter! It would make winter of 9/10 look like winter of 11/12! ?

Love these forecasts. Looks like the ice age is back. Brick and I get blizzards and cold. Mack and Jimmy get frequent cold and snow. GaWx and Storm5 May get some big snows. Hey Phil may even get snow. This poor guy sloshing in some of JB’s bath water. LolView attachment 21268
I saw that guys video on YouTube. He lives near Chicago so he doesn't realize what it takes for snow here in the south

Found another long range computer model from Beijing. I heard somewhere they have very high powered computers similar to the Euro. I’ve never seen any statistics though. The model was almost Identical to the Euro last year which we know didn’t work out too well. Last years run from September below.7661BFFE-F428-4294-8559-61CD95AFEE9C.jpeg
For giggles here is this month’s run. 500mb Looks like a positive EPO
4F355345-03D4-4755-994C-822972B35E60.jpeg
Model projects and El Niño so an active sub jet. Still could go either way as far as Enso06121843-6347-4262-9C4F-93EB49F5BF1C.jpeg501118AA-5027-496F-94F0-C0408FCE147C.jpeg

Found another long range computer model from Beijing. I heard somewhere they have very high powered computers similar to the Euro. I’ve never seen any statistics though. The model was almost Identical to the Euro last year which we know didn’t work out too well. Last years run from September below.View attachment 21278
For giggles here is this month’s run. 500mb Looks like a positive EPO
View attachment 21279
Model projects and El Niño so an active sub jet. Still could go either way as far as EnsoView attachment 21280View attachment 21281

I’ve followed the BCC model for the last few years...I don’t see anyone else post on it, probably for good reason. I haven’t seen them do all that well with the last two winters. It’s also ran pretty frequently, I believe. It’s just not a good seasonal model — but with that said, I don’t think there’s such thing as a good seasonal model. They’re all trash.

Here is my prediction for next winter: Every system that appears on the computer models, literally every system, Tennessee storm (Bruce) will predict it to be a severe weather event.

I’ve followed the BCC model for the last few years...I don’t see anyone else post on it, probably for good reason. I haven’t seen them do all that well with the last two winters. It’s also ran pretty frequently, I believe. It’s just not a good seasonal model — but with that said, I don’t think there’s such thing as a good seasonal model. They’re all trash.

They're bad largely because the main ones are cold biased in the E US due to too strong a western ridge/eastern trough couplet. If one were to take any seasonal forecast from the main ones and warm it up substantially in the SE by assuming a much stronger SER, you'd have a much better chance of being close. I'm not at all exaggerating here.

They're bad largely because the main ones are cold biased in the E US due to too strong a western ridge/eastern trough couplet. If one were to take any seasonal forecast from the main ones and warm it up substantially in the SE by assuming a much stronger SER, you'd have a much better chance of being close. I'm not at all exaggerating here.
Y’all obviously havnt seen the Pioneer model!? It’s the best! ?

That's why I enter a fantasy storm with much skepticism. I know darn well there will be surface temp issues, multiple boundary layer issues. Seems like distant memory when we actually had a pure snow event.

That's why I enter a fantasy storm with much skepticism. I know darn well there will be surface temp issues, multiple boundary layer issues. Seems like distant memory when we actually had a pure snow event.
The last such event I’ve seen here in Fayetteville is Feb 11 2014, most of the big dogs here are typically messy & I don’t recall an event since that hasn’t had sleet involved at some point

The last such event I’ve seen here in Fayetteville is Feb 11 2014, most of the big dogs here are typically messy & I don’t recall an event since that hasn’t had sleet involved at some point
I don't remember Jan 17-18 2018 storm having any sleet. then again if you are referring to the Fayetteville area that storm wasn't really considered a "Big Dog there"

Back