• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

Been some clean living going on east of 95 past decade. 95 and points east and the GSO corridor has done very well. RDU starting to make a comeback the past couple of winters. I feel like we (Raleigh) is due for a clunker of winter snowfall wise. When was the last time we had 3 winters in a row of great snowfalls.

Below are just the ones off the top of my head, I bet there is a few more.

View attachment 24011

Imo, the last string of at least 3 good winters snowfall-wise were 1977-78, 1978-79, 1979-80, & 1980-81 although 1986-87, 1987-88, & 1988-89 were pretty good in their own right.

Sigh... that storm I will always remember as "what could have been." 2.5 inches of sleet woooo
Honestly, I like a good sleet storm. To this date my favorite winter storm was on Jan 6th 1996. I got nearly 6" of sleet. I place that over the 2' Carolina Crusher storm in 2000.
**I think I read that 1" of sleet is the water equivalent of 3" of snow (10:1). So your 2.5 was like 7.5" of snow.

Honestly, I like a good sleet storm. To this date my favorite winter storm was on Jan 6th 1996. I got nearly 6" of sleet. I place that over the 2' Carolina Crusher storm in 2000.
**I think I read that 1" of sleet is the water equivalent of 3" of snow (10:1). So your 2.5 was like 7.5" of snow.
Buddy I've had a little more sleet than I really want in my short lifetime. Also I don't think I needed to know i missed out on 7.5

Yeah sleet storms are pretty amazing given that it takes specific conditions for sleet to fall. While it sucks to lose out on a good snow, prolonged sleet events are just as good.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

I know @dsaur (Tony) would defend sleet as he is the textbook sleetaholic . Also, for folks who care a lot about durability, I think 2.5" of sleet will usually stick around longer than 7.5" of snow. Furthermore, the pinging sound of sleet is awesome. Of course, driving on sleet is often more treacherous though I wouldn't be planning to drive on either one. OTOH, sleet is the least likely of the main 3 types to cause power outages. When snow changes to sleet, I don't at all get upset. I actually kind of smile.

I know @dsaur (Tony) would defend sleet as he is the textbook sleetaholic . Also, for folks who care a lot about durability, I think 2.5" of sleet will usually stick around longer than 7.5" of snow. Furthermore, the pinging sound of sleet is awesome. Of course, driving on sleet is often more treacherous though I wouldn't be planning to drive on either one. OTOH, sleet is the least likely of the main 3 types to cause power outages. When snow changes to sleet, I don't at all get upset. I actually kind of smile.
Hogtown ... will take as much sleet as someone wants to sling ... Actually, that is our most predominant form of frozen P ... SER notwithstanding ... and I love the NWS reports when we get it down here ... "unknown precipitation" ... makes sense, though ... :D

I think it was the first week of March 2014 we had a sleet storm of epic proportions . All of NW Tennessee received 6-7 inches. If you want to beat sun angle sleet is the way to go. Interstate was still covered with a packed 4 inches 3 days later.

I think it was the first week of March 2014 we had a sleet storm of epic proportions . All of NW Tennessee received 6-7 inches. If you want to beat sun angle sleet is the way to go. Interstate was still covered with a packed 4 inches 3 days later.
I wasn't in the RDU area when this hit, but man I would have loved to see it (..centered right over Bricks house):jjjj.jpg

Yeah sleet storms are pretty amazing given that it takes specific conditions for sleet to fall. While it sucks to lose out on a good snow, prolonged sleet events are just as good.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
Yeah. I take sleet storm any day over freezing rain... least sleet don’t knock power out like pure ice from freezing rain

Imo, the last string of at least 3 good winters snowfall-wise were 1977-78, 1978-79, 1979-80, & 1980-81 although 1986-87, 1987-88, & 1988-89 were pretty good in their own right.

I can remember each of those. Heck, I can even remember back in the 60's and 70's where we had a string of 10 good snowfall winters.

I like a good sleet storm too. There's nothing like snow falling and I'll take it every time, but nothing sounds as wintry as heavy sleet falling.

Seeing a good bit of chatter on Twitter regarding a Modoki type El Nino. What does everyone here think for the upcoming Winter season?

Back