• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

Greensboro averages 7.5 inches per year on 81-10. If we look at 2010-2019 the average has been 9.7! 9.7 inches would be more like Asheville.

Even if I expand the period in question to 2000-2019 for Greensboro they still have seen more snow than normal with an avg of 8.7. If I do 1991-2019 I get 7.3 inches. Essentially Greensboros snow average will be exactly the same 91-20 as it was 81-10. Raleigh, on the other hand, was about to dip below 5 inches for 91-19 until that December snowfall, that isn't to say we haven't been snowy this decade, on the contrary, we have! It's just in previous decades we were snowless lol.

Raleigh snowfall averages:

81-10: 6.1
91-19: 5.2
00-10: 7.2
10-19: 5.3
00-19: 6.2
91-00: 5.2

Excuse the disarray in my displaying of the information, it really seems it's the 90s that brought us down! I can break into some short 5 year periods if yall want to see something horrifying lol ( 2005-2010 averaged 3 inches only). Essentially on the new set of averages, Raleigh will be an inch or so less snowy on avg than 81-10, not too mention though we must keep in mind 2000 skews the averages a bit lol. Id imagine the median snowfall to be less than our mean just because of boom years like that; although, this would be even more true for places that average far less snowfall like the Carolina coast or deep south, averages skewed by one big snowfall of a few inches once a decade when in reality most years see far less. 91-19 we have had 11 above average snowfall years only.
I'd appreciate a flake ... it would mean that #killSER worked ... o_O

Eastern NC is actually the biggest winner in the recent decade.

55FE306B-8D04-4895-A396-D9981540C292.gifF1921CAF-7B5C-4E4D-96E9-566B559BCA16.png
We have actually seen an increase in snow over the last few years. But remember it’s deceptive. Those Eastern NC areas average 1-3 (2-6 in current decade) inches of snow a year. So you are talking 2 minor events instead of one. It’s not really a massive change. And some large eastern NC storms are likely skewing this much higher in the 2012-2019 plotting.

Basically when you average 2 inches a year (like a lot of Eastern NC does) one storm gets you to 200-300% of normal. Sounds epic! But really it was a 4-6inch snowfall. That is epic for those areas though.

And vice versa for NW NC and my area in NE TN. Snowfall is down just under %100 of normal in this decade but those areas are still averaging 10-15+ a year. Only a drop of a couple inches.

Last edited:
Eastern NC is actually the biggest winner in the recent decade.

View attachment 23912View attachment 23913
We have actually seen an increase in snow over the last few years. But remember it’s deceptive. Those Eastern NC areas average 1-3 (2-6 in current decade) inches of snow a year. So you are talking 2 minor events instead of one. It’s not really a massive change. And some large eastern NC storms are likely skewing this much higher in the 2012-2019 plotting.

Basically when you average 2 inches a year (like a lot of Eastern NC does) one storm gets you to 200-300% of normal. Sounds epic! But really it was a 4-6inch snowfall. That is epic for those areas though.

And vice versa for NW NC and my area in NE TN. Snowfall is down just under %100 of normal in this decade but those areas are still averaging 10-15+ a year. Only a drop of a couple inches.
I’m seeing what it is you’re posting but I just don’t believe it

I-85. Its a meteorological wonder when it comes to snow

it really is amazing how the leeside cold shows up on these maps.
It’s a great thing for many in NC. But there is also the other side of the cutoff which isn’t nearly as fun.

I lived in SE Raleigh for 5 years and I was on the rain side of the cutoff many a time. It is not a fun time haha

If we're talking 1964-65 winter, given the past few, I'd take it in a heartbeat ...

View attachment 23937
According to Webb's site https://www.webberweather.com/
NC only got one snow event that winter, however, It was a pretty good one
january_16-17_1965_nc_snowmap.png

According to Webb's site https://www.webberweather.com/
NC only got one snow event that winter, however, It was a pretty good one
january_16-17_1965_nc_snowmap.png
Y'all can get all the snow you want ... makes no nevermind when I wake up (though I really do root for you to get a ton ... really) ... what makes a nevermind is that a normal winter means a few fires, more than a few freezes, and a pleasant change ... :cool:

Y'all can get all the snow you want ... makes no nevermind when I wake up (though I really do root for you to get a ton ... really) ... what makes a nevermind is that a normal winter means a few fires, more than a few freezes, and a pleasant change ... :cool:
It ain't right that that sun is wearing shades. He/she need's to be in a toboggan mask :) Of course, it ain't right to be in the mid nineties every day in Sept, but it happens more and more. Winters get shorter, and the chances decrease accordingly, and winter is too short as it is. And the misery just goes on and on. Well, at least the tropical humidity has eased some, that's a help, but help is just a word when it's 95 in late September, lol.

It ain't right that that sun is wearing shades. He/she need's to be in a toboggan mask :) Of course, it ain't right to be in the mid nineties every day in Sept, but it happens more and more. Winters get shorter, and the chances decrease accordingly, and winter is too short as it is. And the misery just goes on and on. Well, at least the tropical humidity has eased some, that's a help, but help is just a word when it's 95 in late September, lol.
just hopin' that if a post causes good juju ...

Anyone know where I can find articles / research papers on how the SER is more influential on the southeast some winter seasons than in others?

Last edited:
Back