• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

This may be a bit off topic but despite all of the negativity and frustration that goes on down here during the winter, I feel like the winter climate here("here" being NC/Upstate SC/The upper south) is the most interesting winter climate in the east coast.

Further up north snow is commonplace and it is almost always a question of "how much?" instead of "will it?". Further South and snow is too rare to really care about a lot of years. But down here, we're just in that sweet spot, and especially with the Apps to the west making CAD a possibility winters are really interesting.

The sheer unpredictability of winter storms down here compared to the rest of the east coast and whether if it's gonna be snow or a mix is what makes winters down here really special, at least in my opinion.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

The 60's had periods of unrelenting cold, but it was dry cold. I remember walking the mile home from school and it being under 10, which is unusual for Atl. Of course that was in midtown...the airport probably had 30's, lol. We had a period several winters ago when I didn't get above freezing for nearly a week, but it was dry cold. I'd rather have weeks of unrelenting southern stream impulses with intermittent bouts of cold coming down, lol. Better shot at timing, since the south can see the best set up the world has ever seen, and pull nada out of it, more often than not :)

Pendulum has to swing back sometime. And often it seems we go from one extreme to the other to even things out.

I can say with almost certainty there will be way more above normal temp days vs at or below normal days by far this winter. Beginning to think we'll never see a winter average below normal in our lifetime again.

Well, we may actually get below normal departures when the averages skyrocket but what I mean is winter temps like we all remember back on the day. Unless you were born in the 2000s and you dont know any better!

I can say with almost certainty there will be way more above normal temp days vs at or below normal days by far this winter. Beginning to think we'll never see a winter average below normal in our lifetime again.

Hey I’m just happy we still get snow. I mean NC at least has been lucky to get a large snow event every year since 2014 to put us at above average. the era back in 2006, was filled with snow droughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t see all the negativity being needed right now!? I mean JB going normal for the SE, and that Anthony M guy going 5-6 week stretch of cold, I’m excited for this winter, even more than the overhyped last two! Plus October torch, giddyup! I’m going 200% of normal @ GSP!

I don’t see all the negativity being needed right now!? I mean JB going normal for the SE, and that Anthony M guy going 5-6 week stretch of cold, I’m excited for this winter, even more than the overhyped last two! Plus October torch, giddyup! I’m going 200% of normal @ GSP!

200% of Normal sleet ?

Hey I’m just happy we still get snow. I mean NC at least has been lucky to get a large snow event every year since 2014 to put us at above average. the era back in 2006, was filled with snow droughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep indeed , both raleigh and Greensboro . Especially Greensboro , are extremely above average for snow this decade . It’s unreal ! Think y’all posted maps that had Greensboro at 750% of normal ... thing was the map couldn’t go any higher so it’s likely much much more than 750% above average .

We are due some more low snow years .

Yep indeed , both raleigh and Greensboro . Especially Greensboro , are extremely above average for snow this decade . It’s unreal ! Think y’all posted maps that had Greensboro at 750% of normal ... thing was the map couldn’t go any higher so it’s likely much much more than 750% above average .

We are due some more low snow years .
I must not understand how that's calculated. Greensboro averages 9 inches per yrs from what I recall. That means you should have 81 for the decade. 7 times that much is over 500 inches. No way that's accurate!

200% is like 9.4 inches. Very doable you would think but considering it's been 25 yrs since a double digit snow year I'd take the under on that! Bet the streak!

200% is like 9.4 inches. Very doable you would think but considering it's been 25 yrs since a double digit snow year I'd take the under on that! Bet the streak!
It’s hard to get 9.4” of sleet!?
At 3:1 ratios, plus compaction, we would only need right at 4” of QPF!

I must not understand how that's calculated. Greensboro averages 9 inches per yrs from what I recall. That means you should have 81 for the decade. 7 times that much is over 500 inches. No way that's accurate!
Greensboro averages 7.5 inches per year on 81-10. If we look at 2010-2019 the average has been 9.7! 9.7 inches would be more like Asheville.

Even if I expand the period in question to 2000-2019 for Greensboro they still have seen more snow than normal with an avg of 8.7. If I do 1991-2019 I get 7.3 inches. Essentially Greensboros snow average will be exactly the same 91-20 as it was 81-10. Raleigh, on the other hand, was about to dip below 5 inches for 91-19 until that December snowfall, that isn't to say we haven't been snowy this decade, on the contrary, we have! It's just in previous decades we were snowless lol.

Raleigh snowfall averages:

81-10: 6.1
91-19: 5.2
00-10: 7.2
10-19: 5.3
00-19: 6.2
91-00: 5.2

Excuse the disarray in my displaying of the information, it really seems it's the 90s that brought us down! I can break into some short 5 year periods if yall want to see something horrifying lol ( 2005-2010 averaged 3 inches only). Essentially on the new set of averages, Raleigh will be an inch or so less snowy on avg than 81-10, not too mention though we must keep in mind 2000 skews the averages a bit lol. Id imagine the median snowfall to be less than our mean just because of boom years like that; although, this would be even more true for places that average far less snowfall like the Carolina coast or deep south, averages skewed by one big snowfall of a few inches once a decade when in reality most years see far less. 91-19 we have had 11 above average snowfall years only.

Back