• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

At this point I'll take any avaible cold I can get even if it's not snowing, yes I love snow but if some in here only likes cold when it's snowing then your winter days are very short. Mine are long because I'm happy to get what I get dry or wet.

I feel that way, cold is great only if it’s snowing, if it’s not snowing I want it in the 60s all winter. A cold dry day is just awful. At least when it’s warm you can do outside activities.

no way. we're guaranteed warmth 95% of the year...I cherish the cold while it's here. I'd prefer snow, but I'll gladly take highs in the 20's and sunny.

If it's warmer than normal in November...cool. Unless it's crazy stuff it's going to mean 70s anyway.

I'm almost tempted to say the same thing with December too. January and February are the money maker months.

If it's warmer than normal in November...cool. Unless it's crazy stuff it's going to mean 70s anyway.

I'm almost tempted to say the same thing with December too. January and February are the money maker months.
No no no !!!! Gotta have cool weather in December to make things more festive ! Plus i would hate to waste what is on average the 2nd coldest month of the year.

Dadgum it but suppose it's better than 8 weeks from now ... :(

View attachment 7085

I don't have a problem with it when considering that even warmer than normal then will be much more comfy than just about any summer day. And if it is warmer than normal in 8 weeks, that's fine, too, because that would likely mean 70s to at most low 80s for highs here and much drier than summer as well as a break on heating costs. Still very pleasant. I'd rather have some cold at least mixed in to make it more interesting (up and down) and we'll get some cold at some point since we always do, but it is an enjoyable time of year for outdoor activities, regardless of the temperatures unless we have a rare frigid airmass, as long as it isn't raining.

I don't have a problem with it when considering that even warmer than normal then will be much more comfy than just about any summer day. And if it is warmer than normal in 8 weeks, that's fine, too, because that would likely mean 70s to at most low 80s for highs here and much drier than summer as well as a break on heating costs. Still very pleasant. I'd rather have some cold at least mixed in to make it more interesting (up and down) and we'll get some cold at some point since we always do, but it is an enjoyable time of year for outdoor activities, regardless of the temperatures unless we have a rare frigid airmass, as long as it isn't raining.
Eternal optimism ... ;)

Very sticky summers that keep someone like me from walking outside is what I attribute my feelings to. Just about anything is better the rest of the year.
Like I said, "eternal optimism" ... which was meant to be very positive ... :cool:

FB4AFD62-15A3-4753-90A0-1A28981F25F3.png Don’t know if this was already posted, but pray it’s wrong , if you like cold and snow!

Honestly does it really matter if it's a warm or cold winter in the south? I'm not sure the chances for snow increase dramatically in a cold winter vs a warm winter.

My research of ATL winters back to 1879-1880 shows that there actually is a fairly strong correlation between cold/warm winters and above average/below average wintry precip (including ZR):

cold winters: 70% above average wintry
near normal winters: 50% abobve average wintry
warm winters: 30% above average wintry

What there's not a strong correlation (or much of any correlation with TBH) is precip.

0.4 F above normal for the winter. Oh the humanity!!! :)
Sadly, I think he’s basing this off his Asia snowcover in October theory, which has proven to crap! And I wanna hear about that 0.4 of a degree, when your sitting at 32.4 and wondering why it’s raining!:D

ATL: For higher than normal wintry precip winters:
- 20 wetter than norma;
- 25 near normal precip
- 22 drier than normal

So, temps have had a big say so at ATL regarding wintry precip. but not whether or not it was a wet or dry winter! I don't think many folks realize this. I sure didn't until I did the research.

So, when winter forecasts are put out, concentrate on the temps, not the precip..

ATL: For higher than normal wintry precip winters:
- 20 wetter than norma;
- 25 near normal precip
- 22 drier than normal

So, temps have had a big say so at ATL regarding wintry precip. but not whether or not it was a wet or dry winter! I don't think many folks realize this. I sure didn't until I did the research.

So, when winter forecasts are put out, concentrate on the temps, not the precip..
Hey, Larry ... Just a segue thought ... cold air tends to squeeze moisture regardless of relative content (unless it's summer ... in which case ...)

Last edited:
Hey, Larry ... Just a segue thought ... cold air tends to squeeze moisture regardless of relative content (unless it's summer ... in which case ...)

Phil,
Yeah, perhaps that's a factor in the overall scheme of things. Now to be sure, wetter hasn't hurt but it also hasn't helped overall on average. I was a little surprised about these findings but not shocked.

Back