• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Tropical Storm Nestor

18z nam is a dream. Good divergence, high pwats, residual cold pool with warm moist upglide over top. A solid recipe for a widespread 1-3 inches with higher totals in bands to the NW of the track where the best frontogenesis sets up and to the east of the coastal trough where a couple banded areas of convection form. If the coastal trough is able to make progress inland there is a tornado threat there as well mainly along and east of 95.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The 5pm advisory has winds at 45 mph after it develops, all the way to off the Carolina coast!
Honestly that because there will probably be some 45 mph winds with squalls just off the coast, enough to maintain that strength.... I highly doubt winds inland will be that strong up through SC/NC.

For those interested, these are the 2 Nam wind maps,
1571637600-un5dfZZZAzs.png
1571551200-qffPnzZ8OBw.png

FWIW, this was the Nam 3k During Dorian, atm this is well overdone1567650277410.png
Euro the most realisticecmwf-nc-gust_swath_mph-1594400.png

Potential Tropical Cyclone Sixteen Discussion Number 2
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL162019
400 PM CDT Thu Oct 17 2019

The complicated weather situation over the Gulf of Mexico described
in the previous advisory continues to evolve. Recent
scatterometer data shows that the tropical disturbance in the
southwestern Gulf has a circulation elongated north-northeast to
south-southwest, with winds of 30-35 kt occurring in the
southwestern quadrant. However, the system currently has neither
sufficient convection or a well-enough defined center to be
designated a tropical or subtropical cyclone. The disturbance
remains in close proximity to a mid- to upper-level low moving
across southern Texas and northeastern Mexico and a frontal system
over the northern and northwestern Gulf. One change from the
previous global model guidance is the the ECMWF and GFS have backed
off of their forecasts of a separate baroclinic low to the north of
the disturbance. Instead, the global models are in reasonable
agreement that the disturbance, along with whatever vorticity
centers form along the front, will be part of a large low pressure
area that will affect portions of the northern Gulf coast and the
southeastern United States.

The initial motion of the disturbance is now 020/8. There is little
change in the forecast track philosophy, the track guidance, or the
NHC forecast track. The system should soon turn northeastward in
the southern portion of the mid-latitude westerlies, and the track
model guidance agrees on a continued northeastward motion through at
least 72 h. The forecast track, which is in best agreement with the
HCCA corrected consensus model, brings the system across the
southeastern United States between 36-72 h, and then has it moving
into the Atlantic east of the mid-Atlantic States.

Gradual strengthening is expected as strong upper-level divergence
caused by the trough partly prevails over strong vertical shear.
Based on this, the intensity forecast again calls for gradual
strengthening until landfall in agreement with the global model
forecasts. While it remains unlikely that the system will develop
into a classical tropical cyclone, the ECMWF and GFS models suggest
enough organized convection will develop before landfall to make the
system a tropical or subtropical cyclone. After landfall, the
cyclone is forecast to become fully extratropical and gradually
weaken.

Regardless of the exact evolution, portions of the northern coast of
the Gulf of Mexico will experience strong winds, locally heavy
rains, and storm surge Friday and Saturday. Similar impacts are
expected across portions of the Atlantic coast of the southeastern
United States Saturday and Sunday.

East side looks formidable....18z nam

View attachment 24598

At 850 hPa yeah, which will help the threat of TC tornadoes in the warm sector, but this definitely ain’t another and won’t pull another Michael, upper level environment is trash for a strong hurricane or even a weak hurricane, winds screaming out of the west will give it a Subtropical/extra-tropical look, center will likely be exposed, this honestly looks like a strong miller-A type system in my opinion with a cool dome on its NW quadrant associated with a leftover dry/cool airmass helping some dynamical cooling once the rain arrives, bottom line the NAM 3KM is a embarrassment of a US model E3962AF3-9BAB-45B0-8567-B2CDF7AA9C72.jpeg39E8357B-2F0A-4BE3-9BDA-02209D943B20.jpeg

At 850 hPa yeah, which will help the threat of TC tornadoes in the warm sector, but this definitely ain’t another and won’t pull another Michael, upper level environment is trash for a strong hurricane or even a weak hurricane, winds screaming out of the west will give it a Subtropical/extra-tropical look, center will likely be exposed, this honestly looks like a strong miller-A type system in my opinion with a cool dome on its NW quadrant associated with a leftover dry/cool airmass helping some dynamical cooling once the rain arrives, bottom line the NAM 3KM is a embarrassment of a US model View attachment 24599View attachment 24600
Wasn't comparing the storm to Michael.....only lack of faith in the nam...hmmm, I don't think any of them are all that great in forecasting intensity.

Wasn't comparing the storm to Michael.....only lack of faith in the nam...hmmm, I don't think any of them are all that great in forecasting intensity.
I wonder when there honestly gonna fix it’s issues, the fact it overdoes convection around TCs which lowers pressure to much is a terrible bias, it would really be nice one day to have a mesoscale model that can nearly accurately sort out a TC

I wonder when there honestly gonna fix it’s issues, the fact it overdoes convection around TCs which lowers pressure to much is a terrible bias, it would really be nice one day to have a mesoscale model that can nearly accurately sort out a TC
Amen to that....my confidence in modeling is dismal....

This storm is gonna have lots and lots of low level shear, and lots of deep layer shear to which will likely help in longer lasting supercells, but man with low level shear like that anything could spin up, those hodos are definitely giant 002A89BD-1ED7-44A0-B208-B90174297B5D.png47929C13-1F1A-4F6E-B4EB-02FDE96F52F6.png

Amen to that....my confidence in modeling is dismal....

The hrrr and 12km are ok, but we all know a much more accurate nam 3km would be much nicer since it sorts out more mesoscale things, and hrrr only goes out to 18/36 hours

At 850 hPa yeah, which will help the threat of TC tornadoes in the warm sector, but this definitely ain’t another and won’t pull another Michael, upper level environment is trash for a strong hurricane or even a weak hurricane, winds screaming out of the west will give it a Subtropical/extra-tropical look, center will likely be exposed, this honestly looks like a strong miller-A type system in my opinion with a cool dome on its NW quadrant associated with a leftover dry/cool airmass helping some dynamical cooling once the rain arrives, bottom line the NAM 3KM is a embarrassment of a US model View attachment 24599View attachment 24600
A fetch going all the way back to the pacific!

Looks reasonable given it’s going to speed up and the NAM likely being an idiot. 26A042AF-CD0F-4969-9EAE-6445E0AF1471.jpeg

I think the likes outcome is a track between Columbia and Florence. Although I wish it trend nw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back