• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry The Webber/1300m/Kylo/Jon/Whatalife Storm January 12th-14th

Looks like there were a few more members that went toward a full miller b look with the primary heading toward Chattanooga before the secondary got going off of the nc coast.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I’ve gotten some bad ice storms with that track! It’s all about the CAD!

2/3 of North Carolina has a winter storm. Outside of there s novelty event for upstate sc Ne ga mostly because of low dew points I’ve felt this way since yesterday. Based on the models I feel the same way now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve gotten some bad ice storms with that track! It’s all about the CAD!
No kidding. Having these dews in place 6-12 hours before precip starts with NNE winds makes me think at least there will be an initial period of wintry weather if not a longer duration sleet/freezing rain event

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks like the dominant ptype will be zr 85 and north, really hoping for a continued north shift or decent south shift, ice looks to be bad

I see where the dew points should be lower than they were with the December storm here. So why would we get more ice than snow this time?

With the trends today being a more further north amped system.. I think it’s safe to say this storm will affect NC and points north.

Dont be fooled by the clown maps. You see strip of snow not coloring upstate sc,ne ga and east of mtns. Its because major ice potential exist for these areas. The cad, surface cold will be way stronger as we get closer . Globals want catch how strong and deep cad areas will wetbulb. Never do, they arent set up to and we go through this everytime. Telling you theres a high potential alot of folks are gonna get a crippling ice storm. Models uping qpf fits the bill as we get closer. Been the case for past 6 months. Someone is gonna get .5- .75 + freezing rain.

Dont be fooled by the clown maps. You see strip of snow not coloring upstate sc,ne ga and east of mtns. Its because major ice potential exist for these areas. The cad, surface cold will be way stronger as we get closer . Globals want catch how strong and deep cad areas will wetbulb. Never do, they arent set up to and we go through this everytime. Telling you theres a high potential alot of folks are gonna get a crippling ice storm. Models uping qpf fits the bill as we get closer. Been the case for past 6 months. Someone is gonna get .5- .75 + freezing rain.
The December storm, people kept saying “ it’ll trend stronger/ colder, the wedge and it never actually did. My area was supposed to be 33-35 on most models, and that’s what verified for me.

The December storm, people kept saying “ it’ll trend stronger/ colder, the wedge and it never actually did. My area was supposed to be 33-35 on most models, and that’s what verified for me.

Same for my neck of the woods in SE Wake. The last 5 days before the storm I was on the line for snow, and actually many times got multiple inches of snow on model runs. Ended up with abt .5 of snow. .2-.3 sleet. Then a nice helping of rain.

So I think the “it’s a CAD it’ll verify colder” argument holds no water.

Atleast not for the areas on the outter edge of the CAD region. Maybe it’s a different story for areas in the center of the CAD region.

Last edited:
BINGO. I should have been clearer.

Atleast not for the areas on the outter edge of the CAD region. Maybe it’s a different story for areas in the center of the CAD region.

To add to the wedge always stronger talk, I would argue that the wedge really didn’t take shape until the event started or a bit later in December. This is forecasted to different. As Shane said, the wedge will be in place for a number of hours well before precipitation comes in. That’s a HUGE difference.

Back